Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Seeking info about two Parkers
Unread 04-26-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
Billmc
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Seeking info about two Parkers

Hello, I am new to this forum and am not a gun collector, so I apologize in advance for my ignorance about shot guns and specifically about Parker guns. Some quick background on my guns; I have two Parkers, a 12 ga. and a 16 ga. given to me by my grandfather in 1964 when I was 12 years old. I shot quail, dove and duck with them until my early thirties which was in the mid 1980's. I then put them on my father's wall with his guns and they have not been fired in the last 30 to 35 years. I have had them at my house for the past seven years, since my father's death. I am now 65 and am thinking of giving these guns to my son, continuing the family ownership that started with his great grandfather. But I realize I know nothing about Parker guns except there are some very fine models out there.However, from some limited research, I suspect these are not in that category. So, I would like to develop some information and possible a value range for these guns for when I pass them on down the line.

So, here is what I currently have. the 12 ga. has a serial number of 200663, which I believe was made in 1922, is Trojan Steel, has a frame size 2, barrel weight 4, barrel length 30 in. and a grade stamp of OV.

The 16 ga. has a serial number 233799, which I think was made in 1930, is Trojan Steel, frame size 1, barrel weight 3 with superscript 7, barrel length 28 in. and a grade stamp of OV.

Sorry about this long post, just wanted to give as much background as possible. I don't want to sell or buy more, I would appreciate information about these guns and a possible value estimate. Thanks for taking time to read this.

Following are some pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12 ga-001.jpg (499.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 12 ga-002.jpg (496.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 12 ga-003.jpg (457.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 12 ga-3497.jpg (558.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 12 ga-3498.jpg (549.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 16 ga-3488.jpg (490.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 16 ga-3489.jpg (489.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 16 ga-3490.jpg (485.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 16 ga-3500 .jpg (555.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 16 ga-3501.jpg (543.1 KB, 9 views)
Bill McLemore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill McLemore For Your Post:
Unread 04-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,943 Times in 12,568 Posts

Yes, you have two very serviceable Parker Trojans that appear to be in very decent shape.

Their individual values probably hover around $1500 or so each.

You can pass them along through your family without hesitation - your sons and grandsons should enjoy them just as their forbears have done.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 04-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #3
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,122 Times in 2,437 Posts

The Trojan was Parker Bros. entry level shotgun, introduced to the market in 1912. It appears you have two very nice examples. A couple of cautions we should put out, especially if your son might be inclined to use them are: 1. They should never be fired with steel shot! 2. The 16-gauge may very well have chambers about 2 7/16 inch long, intended for the old 2 9/16 inch 16-gauge shells, so should not be used with modern 2 3/4 inch 16-gauge shells.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 04-26-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
Billmc
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks, that's exactly the sort of information I was looking for. Not having anything to compare them to, I wasn't sure of what I have, but these type of comments help to better understand what they are.
Unread 04-26-2018, 11:57 AM   #5
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Nice guns and it is great to see you want to keep them in the family. Every little scratch or sign of wear was probably done by you or your grandfather which makes them special and he must have been a good hunter who had specific uses for the 12 and the 16. As you learn about Parkers you will know they were considered by many to be the best American shotguns ever built and in their condition, still quite serviceable today. A real family treasure, thanks for sharing them with us.
Alfred Greeson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alfred Greeson For Your Post:
Unread 04-26-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Dave gave you good advice. I would add that I have a somewhat different opinion on shooting 2 3/4 inch shells in short chambers. I believe that the pressure increase of shooting 2 3/4 inch shells in the shorter chambers of the old 16 bores is minimal.

I personally would and have shot 2 3/4 inch shells in the older shorter 16 bore chambers. It's up to you to decide what to shoot in your gun. RST makes great low pressure short 16 bore shells perfect for old Parkers.

If you do decide to shoot the gun with standard factory shells, stick to the low brass loads rather than the maximum loads. It's not a safety issue, but the lower pressure loads are easier on old guns. High brass maximum loads are never necessary, in my opinion.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 04-26-2018, 02:26 PM   #7
Billmc
Forum Associate

Member Info

Alfred, you are correct, my grandfather hunted with them until he gave them to me, just prior to his death, and I hunted with them until I put them on the wall about 35 years ago. So, for these two guns, only two owners, same family.
Unread 04-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #8
Billmc
Forum Associate

Member Info

Tom, thanks for that advice concerning 2 3/4 shells in the gun. I have a friend here that told me the same thing, so I’m glad to have a second option on that.
Unread 04-26-2018, 08:02 PM   #9
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,122 Times in 2,437 Posts

Quote:
If you do decide to shoot the gun with standard factory shells, stick to the low brass loads rather than the maximum loads. It's not a safety issue, but the lower pressure loads are easier on old guns. High brass maximum loads are never necessary, in my opinion.
Low brass, high brass doesn't mean anything when it comes to pressure. SAAMI pressure specs for 12-gauge 2 3/4 and 3-inch shells and 16-gauge shells are the same, 11500 maximum average PSI. Very likely those "low brass" promotional shells sold by Wallyworld are loaded to just as high pressures as a 12-gauge 3-inch Magnum shell. They need to work gas operated semi-autos.

No one can tell you over the internet what shells may or may not be safe in a given gun, that requires hands on inspection by a qualified double gun smith with the proper tools. Generally speaking 2-frame 12-gauge and 1-frame 16-gauge steel barrel Parker Bros. guns are plenty strong enough to handle SAAMI spec lead loads. What damages old guns, and old shoulders, is recoil, a function of payload and velocity. To be kind to old wood, and old shoulders, in high volume shooting like Doves or clay targets, stick to light payloads and keep the velocity under 1200 fps.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 04-26-2018, 08:14 PM   #10
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,339 Times in 3,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noreen View Post
Low brass, high brass doesn't mean anything when it comes to pressure. .
absolutely, that is one of those old tales that won't die- high brass in the days of black powder was there to prevent burn through with heavy loads - so when smokeless came out they used the perception as a marketing ploy

it still works