Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Orvis Sandanona Game Fair
Unread Yesterday, 08:06 PM   #1
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 12,047 Times in 3,232 Posts

Default Orvis Sandanona Game Fair

It was a beautiful, crisp fall day in Millbrook for the annual Game Fair at the Orvis Shooting Grounds. For the first time in a few years, there were several gun vendors in attendance.

Robbin Hollow and Steve Barnett Fine Guns were side by side (see what I did there?) and both had wonderful displays. August Morris had an exceptional display of fine Parkers, in addition to many beautiful English and Continental guns. His two 000 frame .410s attracted a lot of attention, as did the 000 frame G grade in Bill Hadfield's (RHO)booth.

I was completely smitten by one particular gun in August's rack, to the extent that I texted my banker, who stayed home to bake apple pies, for a credit check. Oddly, my text messages went unanswered. Must have been poor cellphone coverage.

Attendance at the Game Fair was the highest I have seen in years, to the extent that all parking was full, and they were shuttling in people from an off-site parking lot. The crowds were a mix of Sloan Rangers, and die-hard old men. There was no end to the displays of posh clothing and footwear. As always, they had loads of spectators watching the working dogs. Land Rover had all their new models on display, which mostly left me unimpressed, having cut my teeth on the real ones 50 years ago.

The only downside to the great day was finding, in my absence, that The Fall Leaf Fairy had stopped by and dumped a load of maple leaves everywhere.
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 08:58 PM   #2
James L. Martin
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,705 Times in 411 Posts

I went with my wife, we had a great time. Saw those 2 Parker 410's very nice. Orvis had a nice Arrieta sidelock 28ga. The lobster rolls were to die for. Weather could not have been better. Great time.
Unread Today, 09:26 AM   #3
Milt Fitterman
PGCA Member

Member Info

Parking lot was full at 11 AM and the shuttle bus was working already. Sorry I missed you. I was with my wife and another couple. Talked for a while with Lou Rotelli and ran into a few shooting friends. The weather was perfect, the free alcohol was real nice and the cooking demonstration by the Culinary institute was informative on how to cook wild birds. They also put on a show on how to make cocktails and match it to your wild game dinners. More free alcohol. The booths were pretty much all high end. $160 for a leather belt does not work for me. Years ago there were lots of booths with guns. Hopefully, this is a harbinger of a return to that. Wonderful event worth going to if you are in the area. It is going on today also.
Milt Fitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milt Fitterman For Your Post:
Unread Today, 09:35 AM   #4
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

And Robin Hollow and Steve Barnett will not be at the Vintagers?
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 11:42 AM   #5
TOOL MAN
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,995 Times in 437 Posts

[QUOTE=edgarspencer;416960] I was completely smitten by one particular gun in August's rack, to the extent that I texted my banker, who stayed home to bake apple pies, for a credit check. Oddly, my text messages went unanswered. Must have been poor cellphone coverage.

Credit check??? Certainly, you've learned by now that all Parkers are $500, Winny lever guns are $550 and A.H. Fox Guns (bespoke of course) are $750.

There are few venues as atmospheric as Sandanona in early autumn. Please enlighten this ex-marketing lad why the hell the Vintagers can't somehow, someway, collab with the Game Fair folks to reinvigorate their Vintage Gunner's Cup and combine it into one, grand, exhilarating event? No doubt, both parties would have to agree to certain concessions, but how could the combination prove to be anything but synergistic??
Unread Today, 01:33 PM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,172 Times in 4,897 Posts

I would love to go back to Millbrook for the Vintagers. So would a whole bunch of other people.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post: