Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Parker 16 ga questions ?
Unread 05-10-2014, 10:56 PM   #1
Vince Positano
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Parker 16 ga questions ?

Hi all. I'm hoping you guys can help me in determining some specifics about a gun that I am considering purchasing. I have an above average knowledge of double shotguns, but admittedly my knowledge of Parkers is not as good as LC Smiths for example. So, I'm evaluating a gun right now for possible purchase. The gun is a 16 ga, VH grade, #1 frame, 3 weight barrels, made in 1930. All numbers match and its condition I would say is pretty good-good bores, barrels ring, a little thinning spots of bluing on the barrels, good wood, some case coloring. As to condition I'd say its in good enough condition that you probably wouldn't want to restore it. I usually buy all original guns that need a lot of TLC lets say. Negatives of the gun are the butt plate is cracked/missing a piece and there is a rather well installed fastener through the head of the stock to take care of a head split.

Anyway, my questions are really about the rarity of the gun in the configuration it is in (#1 frame, 3 weight barrels). If someone would like to take a stab at an approxiamte value, I know without pictures.....I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Vince
Vince Positano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 08:35 AM   #2
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,084 Posts

A #1 frame 16 isn't a rare configuration in the Parker world. You didn't mention barrels length or stock configuration but my guess is it's a capped pistol grip splinter forearm double triggers. Straight grip guns in the lower grade are a little more unusual. I wouldn't hazard a guess as to value without good pictures but nothing beats having the gun in hand.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,212 Times in 4,914 Posts

Your "3 weight" barrels are not a weight category. This stamping is the actual weight in pounds of the unstruck barrels. A smaller number stamped next to the pound weight would indicate ounces if the weight is not in even pounds.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,803 Times in 3,968 Posts

i would venture this gun in the 12 to 1500 range it being a 16 if it were a 12 ga it would be less...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
Vince Positano
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you all for the responses so far. I think my main question has been answered and that this is a fairly typical 16 ga Parker. I haven't measured the barrels yet but id guess they are 28 inches. The stock is not a straight grip either. I will try and post some pics later today.

Im still curious about the reinforcing pin/bolt through the head of the stock. I was looking through old posts and I think it was Brian Dudley who referenced a "patented reinforcing" pin or something like that? Did Parker sometimes fit a reinforcing pin to strengthen the heads of their stocks? The one on this gun looks old and very well done; almost "factory" if there's such a thing. Again I will try and post some pics later.

Thanks again

Vince
Unread 05-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,925 Times in 870 Posts

Vince, the patented reinforcing rod was inserted in the butt of the stock and runs up through the wrist to reinforce the wrist area without being visible to the eye. If it was used on a gun with a skeleton butt plate then a circular impression might be visible in the wood center of the butt.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,084 Posts

If the wooden dowel is through the head of the stock and the cheeks are checkered it's most likely a repair to the head of the stock and the checkering hides that.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 34,010 Times in 12,595 Posts

Parker Bros. was known to have reinforced some stock heads against splitting upon request and the same as a repair for stock heads that had split.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 09:51 PM   #9
Vince Positano
Forum Associate

Member Info

Does anyone have a pic of a gun that was repaired by Parker or reinforced as Dean mentioned?
Unread 05-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 34,010 Times in 12,595 Posts

I hope the gentleman who posted a picture of it about two years ago still has it and will post it again. There was reference to the preventative measure in the order book as I remember and it was done as a new gun - 10 gauge, again, as I remember it.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote