Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Boykin Spaniel Inquiry
Unread 07-14-2024, 07:43 AM   #1
Alfred Houde
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Boykin Spaniel Inquiry

I did a forum search and most of the info found is pretty dated. Some background:

I lost my AWS last year. He died at age 13. He was a solid gun dog, but he had a very unpredictable temperament. My wife and I referred to it as a "Jekyll & Hyde" type personality. He was not the only AWS with this trait, as I personally know of, and read of quite a few being this way. My wife and I stuck it out, made adjustments when grandkids were around, etc. I have no desire to experience this again and wish to avoid it in my next pup.

I currently have a six-year-old Gordon Setter, who is a joy to have and be around. She is an excellent grouse and woodcock dog. As you know, they are not duck dogs. Most of my duck hunting is pass shooting, and you cannot expect any setter to sit still for any period of time, especially in the field.

So, I am looking to add a Boykin Spaniel pup for duck hunting first, with some upland work second. I thought about a Labrador, but I enjoyed having a small dog. Especially for traveling. I'm not opposed to driving the Maryland/Virginia/NC/SC area for breeder recommendations. Never been a fan of shipping pups, so wife and I would travel to pick one up.

And I have not totally given up on the AWS. However, with such a small breeding/gene pool, and more than half a dozen accounts of the same behavior from other owners, I just don't want to experience that again.

Any leads on reputable breeders would be welcome, along with some experiences with the breed. I'm sure they came from the AWS in many ways, but I am not aware of any temperament issues with them. Thanks in advance for any information.
Alfred Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2024, 02:36 PM   #2
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,716 Times in 1,579 Posts

I'd suggest a FIELD BRED (not show bred) Springer. Larger gene pool and many field tests and field trials to visit and find some nice dogs.
Unread 07-14-2024, 04:07 PM   #3
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,277 Times in 517 Posts

Phil Hinchmam has a great line of Boykins. I competed against Phil for many years and his boykins kicked our butt on many occasions. His number is (317) 431-1369. He’s in Indiana south of Indianapolis. I think Phil has a place in South Carolina where trains in the winter/spring.

Last edited by Dan Steingraber; 07-14-2024 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: Adding information
Dan Steingraber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan Steingraber For Your Post:
Unread 07-14-2024, 06:51 PM   #4
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Our 12 old Boykin has never shown any signs of aggression with people big or small. Couple dogs he doesn’t like not many, growls no fights. Boykin trials steady is his issue. To be honest though it’s mostly my fault, we don’t live on good training property. If we could have run short sessions with a gun daily be another story. Around the house he’s the perfect pet

Were he’s aggressive is with birds, Boykins were bred to small but more aggressive than others their size. Local preserve one of the guides uses Brittany’s mostly, one Boykin his personal pet. If your party knows how to shoot safely will bring him and put him on broken up coveys. Shoot as singles flush out. Way the two breeds handle is dramatically different. Brittany much easier dog to handle Boykin a joy to watch.

Duck hunting depends on how you hunt. They’re small 40 lbs about maximum lot of 30 lb dogs. It’s what South Carolina hunters were looking for, small dog small boats tight creeks. Very aggressive retrieve.

Boykins my Favorite Spaniel, suggest you join the Boykin club, get the magazine as reference for breeders and club trial dates and locations. Very good club is near Greenville North Carolina. Best watch then work before committing. Send me a PM can look up closest club to you our send some old Boykin mags. From Virginia it’s probably worth the drive to Greenville. Very good sporting clays course nearby too.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 07-15-2024, 07:49 AM   #5
Chris Pope
PGCA Member

Member Info

While never having a Boykin myself, I have hunted approximately 20 times per year with a buddy's 5 year old Boykin. She hunts and retrieves woodcock, snipe and grouse like a champ. She's friendly, hunts close and gets along with the other dogs in hunting camp. She has no problem tracking cripples or doing water retrieves. In November and December she hunts waterfowl in northern New England. I don't think she could carry a mature Canada goose through corn field stubble but she sure could hold em down until her handler got there. Fine gun dog. The bonus is she hunts well with our Griffs who are a versatile pointing breed.
Her breeder is Jacquelin DeAngelo. There's a description of her breeding program on the following link:
https://showsightmagazine.com/insigh...elin-deangelo/

I know very little about the breed or her breeder so further research would be necessary. Others here likely know a lot more. This is just my limited experience. Best of luck!

In the photo she is on the right. The only good photo I could find of her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pemi Oct 2023.jpg (524.6 KB, 3 views)
Chris Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris Pope For Your Post:
Unread 07-15-2024, 08:39 AM   #6
Alfred Houde
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thank you for all of the replies. Thanks to a fellow member, I may have found exactly what I am looking for. Plus, the timing is perfect with a planned fall breeding and pup ready to come home in January. I'll post updates as they apply.

Thanks again,

Al
Alfred Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alfred Houde For Your Post:
Unread 07-15-2024, 11:28 AM   #7
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Should have mentioned My Boykin came out of Just Ducky kennel SC

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 07-15-2024, 07:30 PM   #8
JAMES HALL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Cane Bay Kennels. He had 8 available 3 weeks ago
JAMES HALL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JAMES HALL For Your Post:
Unread 07-17-2024, 05:04 PM   #9
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,522 Times in 2,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES HALL View Post
Cane Bay Kennels. He had 8 available 3 weeks ago
Had? How many after you saw the pups? Asking for a friend.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!