Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

What would you do?
Unread 08-13-2016, 12:50 PM   #1
Kirk Potter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default What would you do?

I have 3 Parkers, a 1896 12 gauge GH, and 2 12 gauge reproductions.

For whatever reason I seem to keep buying Parkers that don't necessarily fit with the type of hunting I do.

The 2 reproductions are choked modifield/full with English stocks. I had originally been looking for a pistol grip stock reproduction with improved/modified chokes.

Debating whether to sell both the reproductions and buy the reproduction I want, or sell 1 of the reproductions and have the chokes opened on the other or choke tubes installed.

Whats a ballpark cost to have the chokes opened or tubes installed?
Kirk Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #2
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,379 Times in 4,435 Posts

If you bought a gun to shoot and you don't shoot well with it, I would sell it and keep looking until you find one that works.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

I would sale both repros and get a nice original
Unread 08-13-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,565 Times in 12,448 Posts

Or keep the one you shoot the best and use spreader loads.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-13-2016, 02:41 PM   #5
Kirk Potter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Holcombe View Post
I would sale both repros and get a nice original
That's an option although it seems hard to find a DH/E with barrels/chokes I'd prefer.
Kirk Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2016, 04:45 PM   #6
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,803 Times in 4,658 Posts

The price on choke opening runs like $80 to $125 per tube depending on who does it.
An additional barrel set would also be an option.
I would not recommend putting screw in chokes in.
IC and Mod chokes really perform very well in most field and clay shooting scenarios.

If you do not like the grip style, then you are a bit stuck regardless of the choking.

I woikd say sell and get one that meets your needs in every way. It would not be hard to find a gun that is what you want.
Unread 08-13-2016, 05:36 PM   #7
Daniel G Rainey
Forum Associate

Member Info

If the gun does not fit you well you will not shoot shoot the gun well. If the gun is not choked for the type of shooting you do that is not in your favor. With a great gun with the wrong chokes you will look good missing. A couple of years ago I got a 16 gh on 0 frame that did not fit and I could not hit with it. I got rid of it fishtail and all and replaced with 16 gh on a one frame that fits and I shoot a lot better and am happy. One of tricks of shooting Parkers is finding one that fits you and the type of shooting you do at a price that one can afford.
Daniel G Rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Choking
Unread 08-13-2016, 08:21 PM   #8
Larry the Gun Guy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,606 Times in 392 Posts

Default Choking

To thin wall choke a gun through Briley was $300 including 5 choke tubes the last time I did it. I have a 30" Model 21 that was choked full & fuller and I couldn't hit anything. Once I had it choked it became a useful gun and I take it to the Dakotas every year for pheasants. But, I would not alter the chokes in a Parker. You know, that's kind of like putting headers on a '63 Vet. Just don't do it.

I would add that shooting these old guns is not like shooting a modern gun. For the most part they have a lot of drop in them and it requires you to be into the gun. What I mean by that is you have to be bent over, head forward, shoulders forward, leaning forward and caressing the gun deeply. These are not modern guns where you stand straight with your head high and shoot the way you would today.
Larry Stauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2016, 10:27 PM   #9
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,800 Times in 3,501 Posts

Personally I would not put screw in's in a Parker Repro . Or an original for that matter although I have considered it a time or two .

What I would do is sell the Repro's and buy an original in a configuration that suits what you wish to do with it . If the stock doesn't quite fit you then if it were me I'd remove the original stock and have a second stock made to fit me and shoot the gun with the fitted stock and later if you ever decide to sell the gun you can put the original back on and send it down the road .
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2016, 09:20 AM   #10
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Several times a year I visit a shop with many vintage SxS guns. He has several hundred Parkers Smiths Fox and others on the "American" side of the shop at any time . Go down the line and look at muzzles you can spot the poor opened and cut guns easily. Muzzles not concentric with the bore mostly, lot with scoring from the reamer. Guessing a third or more have been butchered . It could be the untouched guns sold and what's left there because of the troubles, in any case lot guns ruined when opened .

Not a gunsmith or machinist i have a lathe and know a little bit about machine work. Take a gun that's been hand filed and regulated & try to bore it open is not a easy job. Doubt if half a dozen gunsmith in the country are set up to do it right. Want to see how to ruin a Parker look at Larry Porterfields Video on U Tube. Hand tool not properly indexed.

If it does not suit your style sell off and buy one that does always the best thing to do.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote