Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Lengthen chambers to 2 3/4" ??
Unread 06-10-2021, 02:02 PM   #1
George Neal
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Lengthen chambers to 2 3/4" ??

I'm interested in advice on the advisability of lengthening the chambers on a Parker 12 and a Parker 20 from 2 1/2" to 2 3/4". The 12 is a well worn DHE #1 frame and the 20 is a VH #0 frame. Both were manufactured in the 1920's and are in sound condition. Neither are high condition, and other than being sound Parkers have no special collectors value. It would be NICE the use low velocity 2 3/4" ammo that is readily available rather than being limited to the 2 1/2".
If this is feasible I'd appreciate suggestions on a competent source of having the work performed.
I welcome your suggestions.
George Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2021, 02:15 PM   #2
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Neal View Post
I'm interested in advice on the advisability of lengthening the chambers on a Parker 12 and a Parker 20 from 2 1/2" to 2 3/4". The 12 is a well worn DHE #1 frame and the 20 is a VH #0 frame. Both were manufactured in the 1920's and are in sound condition. Neither are high condition, and other than being sound Parkers have no special collectors value. It would be NICE the use low velocity 2 3/4" ammo that is readily available rather than being limited to the 2 1/2".
If this is feasible I'd appreciate suggestions on a competent source of having the work performed.
I welcome your suggestions.
George, If you have not done so already, it is always good to have a gunsmith who knows Parkers examine your guns. By the 1920's (and even earlier) some 12 gauge Parkers had chambers intended for 2 3/4" shells (even though the chambers were slightly shorter). Although ammo is somewhat scarce right now, you can find good offerings for shorter chambered guns, and in some cases, assuming the barrels are sound, off-the-shelf lighter loads have served many shooters well with their Parkers. Also remember that the wood on your Parkers, if original, is old, and that excessive recoil can irreparably damage an old stock.

My opinion is just that, an opinion, and opinions are worth what you pay for them. I have come to the conclusion that the careful approach is the best.

There is one fact, however, and not original to me, and that is: once you take the metal away, it cannot be put back. Regret is a strong and long lasting emotion.

I'm sure you'll hear from others on this. Good luck with your decision.

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 06-10-2021, 02:36 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,922 Times in 12,561 Posts

I would certainly shy away from lengthening chambers on guns that were built on the lightest of frame sizes, for the gauge, like your 1-frame 12 as that often translates to wall thickness at critical points being at, or about at, their safe minimum thickness. You can get low pressure loads pretty much off the shelf when ammo supplies are good. Loading your own is possibly the best choice for a lot of us who prefer lighter loads when we can’t depend on retail suppliers to have them when we need them.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 06-10-2021, 02:37 PM   #4
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,932 Times in 1,926 Posts

Hi George:

How many rounds are you going to run these guns annually ? Point being if it is only a flat or 2 the juice may not be worth the squeeze. Just buy the ammo they were intended to digest. Personally I am not in favor of removing metal. Not to sound condescending but are you certain of the present chamber length ? I ask as it is possible they are 2 5/8 which would be for 2 3/4 shells.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 06-10-2021, 03:46 PM   #5
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,117 Times in 2,434 Posts

My 1930 vintage VH-Grade 0-frame 20-gauge has the 2 3/8 inch chambers intended for the 2 1/2 inch 20-gauge shells. Our ammunition manufacturers offered the 2 1/2 inch 20-gauge shells up to WW-II. For most of the manufacturers, the heaviest load they offered in the 2 1/2 inch 20-gauge shells was the 2 1/4 drams equiv. 7/8 ounce load. However, Winchester managed to stuff the 2 3/4 dram equiv. 1 ounce, progressive burning powder, load into the 2 1/2 inch shell, while all the other ammo makers only offered it in 2 3/4 inch or longer shells.

Super-Speed 2 1-2 inch 20-gauge.jpg

Super-Speed 2 3-4 inch 20-gauge.jpg
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 06-10-2021, 07:35 PM   #6
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,781 Times in 1,069 Posts

Ditto and agree with Gary, Randy, Dean, and Dave. At Hausmann's last weekend, dual PGCA/AHFCA member Jim Guild displayed a set of (formerly) great 16 ga. Philadelphia Fox 28" IC/M barrels that were severely bulged in the right barrel just forward of the chamber forcing cone. His cautionary ("Not For Sale') tag simply stated, "Should have used RSTs".
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2021, 03:43 PM   #7
George Neal
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks to all of you for your comments!
George Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George Neal For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2021, 03:53 PM   #8
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,966 Times in 1,302 Posts

More information here
http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28515
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 06-11-2021, 05:56 PM   #9
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,117 Times in 2,434 Posts

Check out this thread as well --

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33477
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2021, 07:42 PM   #10
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,017 Posts

I have a few questions and am not intending to hijack. Without having to pull out TPS, why were 2 5/8" chambers made for 2 3/4" shells? And while I use a brass gauge for chamber length from Ct. Shotgun, what is the most accurate way to measure it? If I see it land on "the lip" of chamber between 2 1/2" and 2 3/4" I just assume it's 2 5/8". We know what happens when we ASS U ME I've been told on here if they are Vulcan steel barrels and the gun is sound, low pressure 2 3/4" are fine and many people do.

EDIT: I read the other threads about fiber wads and paper shells and the chamber creating a better seal. So that's solved. The chamber length issue?