Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

38 Years of Minnesota Grouse
Unread Yesterday, 07:49 PM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,493 Times in 3,323 Posts

Default 38 Years of Minnesota Grouse

We are about to end our first week of hunting in Northern Minnesota, our 38th if my count is correct. So many familiar sites, but also some new additions to this wonderful country.

Bird numbers seem down, although daily conditions -- especially weather -- contribute much to the flush count. Our first day was a good one with 15 flushes and three birds taken, two over our puppy Rill. We were joined on our second day by PGCA member Dean Weber and his big, burly lab, Oz, a wonderfully dispositioned addition to the hunt. Try as we might, we could not produce the right mix of conditions to provide Dean with the retrieve he wanted for his boy, but hunting with Dean, and the wonderful conversations at evening dinners, has been a highlight of our trip.

Another highlight was a dinner one evening at the cabin of Bruce Day and his wife, Katie. Joe Weidle, another PGCA member, prepared us a wonderful dinner and Elaine and I enjoyed learning more about the backgrounds of these fine people over wine and seafood gumbo. I marvel over the stories that Bruce, Joe, Katie, and Dean shared with us of their personal histories. What a wonderful time we had. Of course we did some Parker show and tell, and I fell hard for Bruce's beautiful small bore DH with 24 inch barrels, a checkered butt, round knob grip, and some of the most beautiful wood I've seen on that grade. I swear I dreamt of that little gun for two nights after handling it.

Dean brought guns to blood (and I hope he brings them back next year), and among them the big brother to a newly acquired BHE 20 of mine. His 16 gauge BHE was breathtaking, with some of the finest condition I've ever had the chance to see on a 1904 gun. Shouldering his 16 bore Purdey was another highlight of the trip for me.

We look forward to the next week, and I'll see if I can't blood a new gun, and get my go-to grouse gun of years ago back into action.

This trip has reminded me of how much I love the Northwoods, and how fortunate I am to be associated with such fine people as I meet in the PGCA.

Photos:

1 & 2: We've not had lots of chances, and bird numbers seem lower that the last two years, but taking birds over Rill's points has been a bright spot in our hunt. We'll have have to work on retrieving, but finding, pointing and holding grouse is an accomplishment as I see it.

3, 4, & 5: A trip highlight has been hunting with Dean Weber. Dean is an engaging personality, a guy who loves fine doubles and hunting, and, what endeared him to Elaine and me, his love of dogs.

6, 7, & 8: I can't resist including photos of the landscape. This country, and this time of year, recalls past years, past dogs, and the younger version of yours truly. I am older now, and showing my age, but I still love the beauty of this wonderful North country.

9. Little Rill gets a toweling after a wet morning hunt. She has flashes of promise and is wonderfully biddable. She's a joy to hunt over.

10. Fall color is breathtaking, and even though we are in the late stages of the color, it still makes us stop and appreciate the show that Nature puts on.

11. We took two beautifully colored young birds on our morning hunt on this warm day. Rill pointed both. The gun for the week was what I call "Reggie's Gun," a uniquely appointed 1918 CHE 20 (Craig, the little brother to the 1918 DHE you recently posted) that fits me like a glove. We've flushed 12-15 birds a day on our hunt, with many wild flushes. Locals talk about the Spring rains that obviously took their toll on grouse broods. Still, a bad day in Minnesota is a good day in many other places.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7511.jpg (519.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7557.jpg (512.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7558.jpg (543.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7572.jpg (503.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7578.jpg (499.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7597.jpg (600.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7602.jpg (523.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7637.jpg (527.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7647.jpg (554.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7653.jpg (526.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7670.jpg (529.8 KB, 6 views)

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 08:20 PM   #2
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,751 Times in 1,441 Posts

Outstanding as always! Elaine handles her camera about as well as you handle that CHE 20!
Unread Yesterday, 09:04 PM   #3
Brian H
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,284 Times in 462 Posts

Outstanding
Brian Hornacek is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Hornacek For Your Post:
Unread Today, 07:21 AM   #4
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,260 Times in 1,210 Posts

Picture no. 6 was a big surprise for me, very unlike anything I could have ever imagined being so far north. Although I'm sure the pine species are different from ours in
GA the cover looks almost exactly like a good bobwhite quail course here!

Thanks for posting them all, and for the excellent narrative.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread Today, 08:10 AM   #5
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
Picture no. 6 was a big surprise for me, very unlike anything I could have ever imagined being so far north. Although I'm sure the pine species are different from ours in
GA the cover looks almost exactly like a good bobwhite quail course here!

Thanks for posting them all, and for the excellent narrative.
Stan, this area was once covered almost entirely by pine, mostly white and red. There are now lots of stands of pines planted by both the state and feds. The stand in the photo is such a planting, probably 60-plus years old, and thinned multiple times over the years.

It's interesting now that you bring it up, but in many ways there are similarities between the Northwoods and some parts of the South (not that familiar with your state, but I grew up in coastal Virginia). There are vast stretches of sand, not unlike areas of Virginia where they grow peanuts. Of course Virginia does not have the potholes and bogs, nor the frigid winters, but if you have ever been to the Dismal Swamp in Virginia, there are at least superficial similarities. Very little farming here, and it must take tons of lime to sweeten this sour soil. You should visit some day...and bring that big duck gun of yours (and maybe a .410 to see if a grouse in the popple is as tough a target as a dove over the peanut field).

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Unread Today, 02:36 PM   #6
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Garry,

Looks like you are starting out well. Hopefully, next week brings you more memories.

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 02:45 PM   #7
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hill View Post
Garry,

Looks like you are starting out well. Hopefully, next week brings you more memories.

Ken
Hey, Ken,

You know exactly what I’m hunting—memories. After 38 years, every covert has some.

When do you get your red and black tandem out after pheasants?

The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread Today, 03:09 PM   #8
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Garry,

Funny you ask. I’m heading to SD on Thursday for a 5 day hunt and then to KS for the 9 Nov opening weekend. I always want go back to SD for an early Dec hunt, but the last 2 years they had a lot of snowy weather (not safe for driving).

Unfortunately, Belle (the Gordon) started limping on her front right foot this weekend. She won’t make the SD trip.

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 03:14 PM   #9
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hill View Post
Garry,

Funny you ask. I’m heading to SD on Thursday for a 5 day hunt and then to KS for the 9 Nov opening weekend. I always want go back to SD for an early Dec hunt, but the last 2 years they had a lot of snowy weather (not safe for driving).

Unfortunately, Belle (the Gordon) started limping on her front right foot this weekend. She won’t make the SD trip.

Ken
Sorry to hear about Belle. Good luck on your hunts. Any small gauge Dickson round action guns going with you?

The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread Today, 03:29 PM   #10
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,625 Times in 1,029 Posts

Kudos to you and Elaine, wonderful!