Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

A Special Parker
Unread 03-17-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
Mike McKinney
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default A Special Parker

There is a very nice article, "A Special Parker Takes Special Shells" by Nick Sisley, in the Spring Issuse of Ruffed Grouse Society, which references Burt Spiller's Parker, Morris Baker and RST shells. Maybe no new information, but I know so many of you favor the RST shells and it was very interesting for me.
Mike McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,410 Times in 12,421 Posts

I haven't read the article so this is pure speculation, but last September at the Vintager's at Pintail Point Morris allowed me to shoot "Burt's Gun" for a round of SC. After I took that sweet little Parker from it's case and stroked and caressed it (and wished once more I had brought just a bit more money to the auction) and was about to step over to the table and buy some RST 20's from Alex (bless him for being in the RST booth any time you go there) Morris said, "Wait a minute, I've got something I want you to try out." He went to the back of the big truck and came back with a couple of boxes of shells. "Here, I want you to shoot these. I've made up some very special loads for this little gun." And he thrust both boxes into my hands saying, "Let me know what you think."

Along with Larry and Deb, Dave and Danny, Kathy and I walked to station one. The first target was a left to right bunny and without thinking about it I smashed the target, raised my eyes to the heavens and whispered "Sorry Burt." I mean, he was a grouse hunter and this was a grouse gun...
I shot my best ever round of sporting clays with that little Parker and the special loads Morris cooked up for it that day. I just want to say to Morris, if he gets to read this - "Thank You my Friend!" for the experience of a lifetime.
So, I think these may have been those "Special Shells" and they are about the softest feeling - hardest hitting shells I have ever used.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

I must say that was a very special day of sporting clays for Dean as he went around the course almost unconsciously breaking target after target. All who witnessed this display were amazed as deep down we all knew "it had to be the gun".
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
Parkerman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Dean--I, for one, would be interested in knowing the particulars of the shells that you shot as described.
Thanks

Linn
Linn Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,410 Times in 12,421 Posts

Larry, it most definitely was the gun... or what I imagined the gun to be () or the special mystic properties it has.

Linn, I really don't know what Morris' formula was/is and I didn't ask because I don't reload, I just trust my favorite ammo company, RST, to make the right stuff for my shooting needs.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,942 Times in 4,789 Posts

All RST shells are wonderful. I have a hard time opening the box. I feel like keeping them in a trunk case just to look at.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
Mike McKinney
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I am very glad I mentioned the article. Mr. Spiller and Ruffed Grouse Society has been with me a long time, the Parker's and RST less time, but to see that article and recognize the owner of Mr. Spiller's gun and find out that a person like Mr. Morris who will use and baby that gun is a pretty special story.

Dean, that's a wonderful memory.
Mike McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,063 Times in 1,729 Posts

I was there to witness this feat of magical shotgunnery.That gun went to the target like a magnet to iron.Dean was just along for the ride....and it couldn't have happened to a more deserving "ol" ah never mind....