Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

A gifted Parker
Unread 04-19-2011, 07:27 AM   #1
Ed Nicholson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default A gifted Parker

Although a dedicated double gun enthusiast, I never owned a Parker until now. A dear friend gave me his 16 ga VHE just this past weekend and I am like a kid at Christmas. I'm an avid bird hunter and want to make sure the gun is ready for the field this Fall. the gun has been in a gun safe for lord only knows how many years and is gummy and needs a good looking over and cleaning, just for starters. I intend on sending it to Del Grego and Sons for what ever needs to be done. Since I intend on using it in the field, I will want to open the chokes up and assume that this regularly done. Re bluing too. Stock refinishing is in order also. The serial number is 241120. I see that my old skeet shooting friend from Indian Head days , Dave Noreen, is a member of your Collectors Association, so hello Dave. Comments and/or suggestions are welcome.
Ed Nicholson
Ed Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,635 Times in 2,670 Posts

Whoa pardner, slow down. More Parkers are harmed by people messing with them than by any other reason.

Hang around here for a year and look at photos of original and messed with guns and make up your own mind. Most restored guns fall short of being returned to the way Parker made them and are in fact devalued by the restoration. That particularly includes recase coloring frames. Many collectors here would also not ream out the chokes. Parker hand lapped bores and chokes and adjusted them until they shot perfect patterns as specified for the gun. A gunsmith with a reamer doesn't improve upon that.

Your gun is in the last couple years of production and V grades made during that period are well regarded by many. I suggest posting good photos and seeing what advice long time collectors here give you.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 04-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Ed,
First of all, congratulations and welcome to the PGCA website. What Bruce said is true in that a Parker in original condition will always be worth more than a gun that has been altered/restored. Of course if a gun is in very poor condition to start with then spending money to save the gun makes more sense. I would suggest if your type of bird hunting requires more open chokes that could be resolved by either spreader loads or my personal favorite method buy another Parker with open chokes.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Larry Frey For Your Post:
Unread 04-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,944 Times in 12,569 Posts

Good advice from both Bruce and Larry. Don't rush into anything that isn't absolutely necessary. Del Grego is the place to send it for disassembly and a proper cleaning but anything beyond that should be reconsidered.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,766 Times in 736 Posts

Ed,

I agree with the coments above. I shoot SpredR www.polywad.com hand loads in most all my Parkers. The 10 and 12 gauge the most, but the 16 and 20 get their fair share as well. RST www.rstshells.com and Polywad make spreder loads for the 16 that are perfect for your Parker.
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
Ed Nicholson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks guys for your advice. As you say, first things first. I'll get the gun to Del Grego and have it inspected, cleaned and put in shooting order. I have used Spred-R loads in the past, but not sure they'll bring the mod/full choke pattern down to be effective at grouse and woodcock range. As soon as I can figure out how to post photos I'll do so.
Many thanks again,
Ed
Ed Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,073 Times in 1,730 Posts

Ed, I have used the Poly-Wad spreaders in both a 20 gauge M/F Trojan and a 16 gauge VH and l have to tell ya they work just great on Grouse and Woodcock...
Unread 04-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,944 Times in 12,569 Posts

I'll vouch for that Dave.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 04-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,728 Times in 1,587 Posts

Ed - From the FAQ section at the top of this page, if you type in "Post Pictures" in the search box, you will get the following:

How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote