Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Railbird Shooting in Jersey and Pigeons in Pennsylvania.....
Unread 09-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,259 Times in 1,202 Posts

Default Railbird Shooting in Jersey and Pigeons in Pennsylvania.....

Just had a call from Don Kaas Esq. and was informed that the very rare opportunity of an empty boat being available with the famous Camp Family of railbird pushers was happening on Saturday and that it could be mine if I was able to get out to Jersey in time. I've tried for years to arrange a day shooting with these folks but never even had a tense moment. They're booked solid with multi generational family clients throughout the railbirding season and are essentially impossible to book with. Needless to say, Friday midnight will see me on the road headed for Penna. to meet Mista Kaas. This is not an opportunity to miss.

And to top it off, just had a call from another dear friend Russ Bickel, informing me that a pigeon shoot was taking place at their new club on Sunday if I wished to attend.

Talk about God having you in his hip pocket, it just couldn't hardly get any better. Rails on Saturday and Flyers on Sunday, will be almost like stepping back in time. Ah the sporting life......

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 09-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,197 Posts

We will need a full report. Weekend weather looks good have a great shoot.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Only Markethunter would drive 1200 miles R/T to kill little birds at the drop of a hat (not a metaphor, his crusty hunting cap, really...)...I knew he could be counted on...sora rails are really little...

D.G.Kaas
Chairman
The D.L. Hoffard Make-A-Wish Foundation
"We make little boy's dreams come true."
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,259 Times in 1,202 Posts

Hah! Too true, I'm am painfully insane when it comes to shooting water birds I've never gunned before. I think I'll wear my old military cap this time though, my ducking cap might suffer or even be lost if I took a ducking when falling out of the rail skiff which I'm sure I'll do at least three or four times. See you Saturday morning my friend!

Destry

P.S. To top it off, Bickel also tells me that repairs are complete on The Swamp Angel and I can retrieve her while I'm out there. I think I feel a 34 inch pigeon shoot coming on.....
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,197 Posts

D.G.Kaas
Chairman
The D.L. Hoffard Make-A-Wish Foundation
"We make little boy's dreams come true."

That is perfect Don..!
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,803 Times in 3,968 Posts

good luck with the both the shoots we will expect a full report from you two... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,205 Times in 4,909 Posts

Destry, hit me with an email to give me a heads up on the pigeon shoot and the Vintagers. As you know, your friends will be exhibiting at the Vintagers. wilmrph@verizon.net. I know you are a working person, but we can always hope for a visit.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
John Truitt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 338 Posts

Destry,

What gun for the rail birds?

Please do keep us all informed. I have missed hearing from you and Mr. Kaas re your trips/adventures/ etc.
John Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Destry- you can also retrieve your 2 barrel set A-5 Browning whilst you are East...as Ho'ace Miller wud say, "yo' afromatic"

Selection of a gun for rail birding is a delicate matter. While the water is warm and shallow and the boat narrow, lurching and tippy, nevertheless, one should choose an opened choked gun preferably of small bore that is not afraid of immersion. I have a little AyA 28g my late wife gave me for Christmas in 1977. It is my usual gun on soras along with 3/4 oz of #8s of the now mandatory Bismuth shot. I am dying to try out a Damascus barreled 28" 20g DH I just had restocked but that may have to make its debut on "birds" in Virginia next month...the little fellow doesn't like baths...Destry says he is shooting the ex-Muderlak sawed off BH 12 bore...never a man to shy away from too much gun...then again my friend Dick may bring his 10 bore Krider hammergun with black powder...the boom and cloud that gun makes across the marsh is notable!
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Kaas For Your Post:
Unread 09-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,205 Times in 4,909 Posts

A Philadelphia Krider on Jersey railbirds. What a combination.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote