Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Parker Trojan Choke question.
Unread 03-06-2019, 04:47 PM   #1
jason stratton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Parker Trojan Choke question.

I have a 1916 Trojan that someone cut 2" off the muzzle end.

According the barrel measurements, it seems to come out as IC anc C for the chokes. [I know- only patterning them will really tell! roger that.]

I am on a trip and 2 weeks away from the shotgun at this time, but my records make me curious/confused- and I thought I'd ask the collective for some insight.

When shouldering a Trojan [or any other Parker], is the right barrel always more 'open' than the left barrel?

On my JP Sauer and LC Smith [both uncut] the right is modified and the left is full.

However, in my records I have the Trojan down as Improved Cylinder for right and Cylinder for left [going tight to open right to left].

Now, I know the barrels are cut, and that throws things off. I don't know if the choke was adjusted after the barrels were cut either. And they haven't been patterned.

I had also read that the Parker Trojan's choke started about 4" back from muzzle, so a barrel that was chopped to be 28" would have lost 2", and have some choke.

What I am trying to figure out is what the likelihood is of me inverting the choke pattern r/l when I recorded this, vs the likelihood that the Parker has a right that is tighter than left- unlike my other SxS shotguns.

Anyone able to say R = more open than L in normal Parkers? or the reverse?

Thanks
jason stratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2019, 04:59 PM   #2
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,760 Times in 2,593 Posts

Traditionally the right barrel is more open than the left Jason. On a Trojan, which was Parker's lowest grade, I doubt very much that that would have had any type of custom choking. The only way to know for sure is to measure the bore diameter and then measure the choke diameter and that will give you the amount of constriction. Absolutely pattern it not only to check the pattern but more importantly to check for point of impact. Good luck with your Trojan.
Unread 03-06-2019, 05:03 PM   #3
jason stratton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
Traditionally the right barrel is more open than the left Jason. On a Trojan, which was Parker's lowest grade, I doubt very much that that would have had any type of custom choking. The only way to know for sure is to measure the bore diameter and then measure the choke diameter and that will give you the amount of constriction. Absolutely pattern it not only to check the pattern but more importantly to check for point of impact. Good luck with your Trojan.

Thanks Daryl,

I will have to double-check it when I return home. I wouldn't be surprised if I wrote it down with the barrels off the gun, upside down, and flipped R and L with the choke diameter.

Is there a simple tool for measuring bore diameter in the Trojan steel 12g barrel? Or is it a known measurement?

I prefer not to spend a bunch of money on a tool I'll use 4 times in my life.

Thanks again.
jason stratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2019, 05:15 PM   #4
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

What you will need is called a bore micrometer Jason and if you search this forum or the net you might find one for a reasonable price. If not find a local gunshop or gunsmith who might have one that could measure it for you. If you post where you live maybe one of our members could help you out.

If you get into these old doubles you will find a use for one.
Unread 03-06-2019, 08:59 PM   #5
todd allen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,364 Times in 1,157 Posts

I've owned two Parker's that I call left barrel first guns.(Left barrel more open) Still have one. That said, I believe all Trojans would be right barrel first guns.
My theory is that some shooters, back in the day, thought that going left first on a SxS leaves the gun positioned better for a faster second barrel. Think pigeon shooting, not field shooting.
My theory, of course. I could be wrong.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2019, 12:30 AM   #6
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

I was under the impression left barrel guns were for left handed/left eyed shooters.
Unread 03-07-2019, 08:01 AM   #7
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,925 Times in 870 Posts

I would expect the "left handed/ left eyed" shooter's gun to have the triggers switched as well, no?
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2019, 08:22 AM   #8
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Not to hijack your thread Jason but I'm a left handed/left eyed shooter and I've never had a problem with the standard trigger setup or firing the right barrel first. In fact, I've long thought that a lefty, firing the right barrel first, has an advantage in that the recoil is closer to the center of the body. The truth is I don't think nor do I care about chokes. If the gun fits reasonably well you can kill/break things a long way off with open chokes.
Unread 03-07-2019, 09:21 AM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,951 Times in 12,570 Posts

I believe that any Parker gun made with what we refer to as “reverse chokes” was made that way because it was ordered that way for the type of shooting the buyer planned to do with that gun. I can easily understand a gun being reverse choked for incoming targets such as pass shooting either waterfowl or doves to a watering hole or food source. Also for such shooting as European driven grouse... any shooting at game or inanimate targets that are incoming.

As for me, I simply select the choke I want to shoot first by using the trigger for that barrel...

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #10
todd allen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,364 Times in 1,157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Holcombe View Post
I was under the impression left barrel guns were for left handed/left eyed shooters.
That could be. Incidentally, both of my reverse choke guns were/are single trigger, vent rib trap guns. both original.
My buddy had a double trigger, reverse choke gun, which had the front trigger fire the right barrel, so who knows.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote