Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Picture of a long one
Unread 07-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Picture of a long one

Went up last Friday and got a chance to look over my 16 gauge Sterlingworth with 32" barrels I had mentioned earlier. Gun has some issues that will be addressed.

First is someone cut a small "V" in the top of the receiver so they could (I guess) shoot it like a rifle. V lines up perfectly with the end of the barrel bead. That will require the receiver to be micro-welded most likely, which will necessitate a bit of polishing, perhaps re-case coloring etc. etc. Anyway, I'll get all that figured out in due time. Still a very worthy gun. Barrels are choked at .036 and .031. Minimum barrel wall thickness is .39 and the gun has number 2 weight barrels. This be an unusual gun for sure. Anyway, still figuring at the next step, but while there I had Dan take the following picture of me. Also, that is my VHE in the background. Dan will be replacing the wear plate on that. Thankfully, the gun is still tight on face and the wear plate is an easy fix per Dan.

tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tom tutwiler For Your Post:
Unread 07-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,943 Times in 12,568 Posts

It's good to put a face with a name... Hi Tom
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

i really like the looks of those long slender barrels...pretty nice shop too... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dan has a nice shop up then in the top end of Pa. One busy young man for sure. I asked him what he worked on the most and he said Foxes. Said the ratio of Foxes to Parkers are probably 10 to 1. Pretty amazing stock maker and recently bought a Don Allen Duplicator and is now starting to turn customer blanks in addition to his own.
Unread 07-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,178 Times in 4,897 Posts

Dan recently completed my 32" VH Becker style pigeon gun. It is everything he could have made it. It was on display at the Southern. I hope everyone got to see it.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

What a neat old Fox! I'll bet it was made F and F. The Fox just might be the "best gun ever made." It is amazing that some of those old one lock up like new. It only has four moving parts!

I'm happy for you. Have you shot her yet?
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McCarty View Post
What a neat old Fox! I'll bet it was made F and F. The Fox just might be the "best gun ever made." It is amazing that some of those old one lock up like new. It only has four moving parts!

I'm happy for you. Have you shot her yet?
It is indeed choked full and extra full. Chokes are .035 and .039. That's full choke in a 12 gauge, much less a 16 ga. Didn't shoot her, but she works fine with snap caps. She's been left up with Dan to take care of a couple issues and then he's going to restock her.
Unread 07-21-2012, 12:16 AM   #8
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom tutwiler View Post
It is indeed choked full and extra full. Chokes are .035 and .039. That's full choke in a 12 gauge, much less a 16 ga. Didn't shoot her, but she works fine with snap caps. She's been left up with Dan to take care of a couple issues and then he's going to restock her.
Of course your Fox was made to reach out and touch someone. Someone with feathers.

When they finally figured out how to make an effective choke full chokes became all the rage. I own a Win 97 and an early model 12, both sport very tight full chokes.

For some reason, maybe the low comb or just me, I can't hit the broad side of a barn with my Winchester 97. The gun is in great condition. Certainly someone could hit something with it once; why not me? No wiggles where the stock meets the receiver. No cracks. I have considered having it threaded for choke tubes. I did that with an old Ithaca Model 37 which made a fine, versatile shotgun. While there is plenty of steel in the barrel of the 97 I can't bring myself to mess with that fine old, and very plum gun.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote