Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

A morning to remember
Unread 12-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
gman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default A morning to remember

we got back from sea duck hunting in Maine hoping to finish out our home season shooting at some whistlers. Scouting showed some birds but a cold snap closed down our boat access. Then the warm weather, wind and rain got us optimistic and I figured the thawing ice was nothing I couldn't break through like I have done in the past. We had to axe out of the landing but cracked the ice easy enough motoring in the river. We got into the bay and it got a little tougher and thicker but a little more gas helped with the motor kicking up a bit on ice chunks as expected. Then the motor kicked up but the boat kept going and we ended up boat and motor sitting on the ice. Then Methinks " this is another fine mess I've gotten myself into". No real safety concerns but all this was in the dark at 5AM. I hit the ice with a splitting mall and a chip came off and that was all. I really don't know how we did it but i finally got the motor back in the water, backed her up, set a different line, got to open water set the blocks and shot a couple whistlers with the parker making it all worth while. And I more than ever wicked appreciate my Lund. God I love duck hunting.
first pic is our pathway home
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-2.JPG (82.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg P1040802.jpg (551.0 KB, 3 views)
Eric Grims is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,445 Times in 12,436 Posts

Nothing like the New England coast for waterfowl shooting... well, there are a bunch of other great coastal waterfowl destinations but the New England coast is "ours" and we love it!

I have several friends with Lunds and they swear by them whether for fowl shooting or fishing, they can't be beat. I have cast flies for stripers and blues from Lunds a great number of times and they can take a pounding. We have been washed against the rocks by rogue swells several times and the Lunds hardly even shudder but that's where the stripers feed... right in the pounding surf.

Is that first picture of the big Vermont lake at Newport
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

lovely place you got there..i envey you boys that get to duck hunt on the big water...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 12-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
gman
Forum Associate

Member Info

yep, Lake Memphremagog about 1/2 mile from the border.
Unread 12-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

What concerns if any do you have with the salt water and your Parker regarding the internal parts?
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
gman
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have some concerns about this myself and have a friend that I trust to remove the bottom plate and clean. I usually keep the gun in the case in a plastic bag when in the boat traveling as best I can but things get busy. Before going out I make sure I have a good coat of Rig over the gun. When I get home I do use some water, then set the gun by the wood stove and then clean and oil. Most feed back I get here is to treat the gun, clean well and go and shoot it. Some folks wax them.
I would appreciate any other suggestions. So far no problem.
Unread 12-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
Ruff Hunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

gman, I've been there on Memphy years ago fishing for smallies....what's the name of that island that is cut in half by the international border? I was told that the Canadians stock it with pheasants use it for British style driven bird shoots. Its supposedly far enough from each shore that the pheasants won't fly off the island. Are the Canadians still doing that?
Justin Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
gman
Forum Associate

Member Info

I believe it is called Provence island. Years back I was deer hunting on the western shore and watched them let out pheasants then kick them to fly. I dont know if they still do it. We used to fish there but we no longer ignore the border there (there is a slash right through the island.) as post 9-11 it is something you dont want to mess with.I think occasionally some birds made it to shore. I woke one morning hearing a cock bird yelling and there was one at the bird feeder (I live not far off the lake) and there was no one around raising them so good chance he was from the island. I have heard of others too. He stayed at my bird feeders through the winter singing opera every morning. We named him Carvagio.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Grims For Your Post:
Unread 12-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
Ruff Hunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

My Dad died about 11 years ago. He had a summer cottage on the lake at the end of Drown Drive. Our neighbor was a VT state senator named Jim Greenwood--a great guy even if he was a politician. Dad used to fish that lake heavily and just loved it. It was probably his favorite place on earth. But he never hunted it to my knowledge. I think it got too cold for him up there in the winters.
Justin Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Julian For Your Post:
Unread 12-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
gman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jim is a good man. I served on the local home health board with him. I see drown drive is right up by the island. It is still very nice over there. The fishing is still fair but not what it used to be. I have some old photos of the salmon run before the dam. I will try and look them up and post. They are quite something.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Grims For Your Post: