Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Double Barrel (External Hammers), 10 Gauge, Serial #35318
Unread 05-10-2024, 08:14 PM   #1
Joseph Borin
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Double Barrel (External Hammers), 10 Gauge, Serial #35318

Hi...I inherited this gun from my dad. Trying to figure out what I have. I just registered and will figure out how to post pics. Any help would be appreciated - i.e., what to look for, what pics would be most relevant, etc. Thank you.
Joseph Borin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2024, 05:12 PM   #2
Joseph Borin
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi...I have a couple of pics from phone I sent to email and downloaded on computer. Having trouble finding the URL link (opened properties and just see a folder, no URL address I could copy and paste) or simply pasting the pics into a message. Any help would be welcomed. One gentleman offered and I replied to him. thanks
Unread 05-11-2024, 07:03 PM   #3
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,684 Times in 3,143 Posts

Below the dialog box, find "Manage Attachments", click that, then "Browse", select the photo from your download file, click it, then click "upload".
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 06-01-2024, 04:28 PM   #4
Joseph Borin
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi...quick update. I had a gunsmith inspect the gun and here are the results:

Serial #35318
Grade: F
Gauge: 10
Back Action
Straight grip type
Splinter forend type
Checkered butt type
Barrel steel is Damascus
Barrel length is 32"

Should I send a history letter request to Chuck Bishop to ascertain the origin?

I will have it back in a week or so (vacations) and take pics to post. Thanks
Pics - more to follow
Unread 06-01-2024, 05:13 PM   #5
Joseph Borin
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Pics - more to follow

Here are a few pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3815.jpg (123.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3816.jpg (143.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3817.jpg (111.3 KB, 5 views)
Unread 06-01-2024, 05:44 PM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,957 Times in 4,796 Posts

Joining PGCA will result in a savings on your letter that will almost pay for your annual membership. A gun of your grade is not likely to have been ordered by an individual, but the location of the retailer may be of some interest. The annual membership will get you four issues of our glossy magazine, which you will love.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 06-01-2024, 05:48 PM   #7
Joseph Borin
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Joining PGCA will result in a savings on your letter that will almost pay for your annual membership. A gun of your grade is not likely to have been ordered by an individual, but the location of the retailer may be of some interest. The annual membership will get you four issues of our glossy magazine, which you will love.
Would it be possible to have a letter produced, based on the specs listed above, and I can Venmo/PayPal Chuck or whoever else would be creating it? I'm cool with joining the PGCA community since I may have a few more Parkers - will find out when I go to the storage unit in a few weeks. thanks
Unread 06-01-2024, 09:17 PM   #8
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

A PGCA research letter will not authenticate the gun as you have described it, but will only list the configuration in which it was made. Because of the low grade, it most likely will not state the butt treatment, but it likely was made with a plain steel butt plate, and quite unlikely would it have had a checkered butt. Additionally, the gun is not a back action. The term 'Back Action' refers to the location of the hammer spring Behind the Axle. Your gun is much later than back action locks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread Yesterday, 12:26 PM   #9
Joseph Borin
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
A PGCA research letter will not authenticate the gun as you have described it, but will only list the configuration in which it was made. Because of the low grade, it most likely will not state the butt treatment, but it likely was made with a plain steel butt plate, and quite unlikely would it have had a checkered butt. Additionally, the gun is not a back action. The term 'Back Action' refers to the location of the hammer spring Behind the Axle. Your gun is much later than back action locks.
I thought all original parts and an F grade is better than a refurbished B grade, no? Also, the gun smith identified back action. Were there some around that time (1883) that were? Appreciate the comments and edification. I know nothing about these guns and would be willing to sell reasonably.

I also have a Colteer .22 LR tube loader.

I'm not a gun expert in the least and am just reacting to what my dad has passed down. thanks
Unread Yesterday, 03:20 PM   #10
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Borin View Post
I thought all original parts and an F grade is better than a refurbished B grade, no? Also, the gun smith identified back action. Were there some around that time (1883) that were? Appreciate the comments and edification. I know nothing about these guns and would be willing to sell reasonably.
Your gunsmith meant well, but he got a lot of it wrong. It is Not a back action. "F" is not a grade, but a 'Quality Level' (E,F,G & H) within Grade Two guns, specifically designating 10ga., Straight Stock. (E was a Pistol Grip 10ga, G & H were 12ga)
All of that aside, It isn't a quality level F anyway, as the gun is not a grade 2. from the limited views in your pictures, it's hard to say for certain, but it does appear to be a Grade 0, or possibly a Grade 1 (lack of any engraving suggests it's a Grade 0.

Did your gunsmith say anything about it being off face? Appears to be, and for that alone, I would suggest not shooting it. Also, the right hammer appears to have been repaired.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post: