Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Refurbishing My 1893 Parker DH and add on Vulcan Steel Barrels
Unread 05-16-2024, 01:06 AM   #1
Elvin Ehrhardt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Refurbishing My 1893 Parker DH and add on Vulcan Steel Barrels

Well guys, the refurbishing is completed on my old Parker Brothers DH. I’m really pleased with how well it turned out. Stock stripped, sanded, re-checkered, and re-finished, receiver stripped down, cleaned and polished. I found an old VH grade Parker that was in bad shape, but the Vulcan fluid steel barrels were in good shape, they were the same frame size and luckily fit my receiver like a glove. So, I sanded, polished and re-blued them for use with my DH. I decided to take a leap of faith and refurbish the Damascus barrels myself. I used the Mark Lee slow Rust solution and followed through to boiling, and carding process several times and then used the Ferric Chloride to etch the barrels like is normally done. However, I tried another process after the etching that I picked up while researching methods of refinishing Damascus. Following the Ferric Chloride etching I cleaned the residue off with 0000 steel wool and acetone followed by a warm water rinse. Then a submerged the plugged barrels in a strong solution of hot instant coffee (Mix of 1 cup instant coffee to 2 cups distilled water). The barrels were left in that solution overnight and the next morning rinsed, dried and then oiled inside and out, followed by a complete Waxing with Renaissance Wax which was polished after drying. The color shade is lighter but, it looks very good. This coffee process is used by a large number of Damascus knife makers in the same way. I am pleased with the refurbishing, and I think it looks close to when it left the factory in 1893. I did learn one thing for sure, completely stripping down and reassembling one of these old Parker guns is not for the faint of heart! Lol! Having seen this old double from inside and out, I’m amazed at the artistic craftsmanship of the Parker’s. Considering the limited tools, they had to work with back then and intricacy of these receivers, I’m convinced that Parker’s work force was truly some of the finest shotgun craftsmen in the world. I am proud to own this Parker and I have already purchased another which won't likely be my last.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Finished Damascus 16.jpg (507.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4733 (002).jpg (487.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Finished Damascus 1.jpg (486.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Finished Damascus 3.jpg (461.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Finished Damascus 8.jpg (491.3 KB, 10 views)
Elvin Ehrhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Elvin Ehrhardt For Your Post:
Unread 05-16-2024, 07:00 AM   #2
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,880 Times in 2,039 Posts

Nicely done Elvin, what gauge is it?
Unread 05-16-2024, 07:49 AM   #3
john pulis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Very nice. Congrats.
john pulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2024, 09:09 AM   #4
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,836 Times in 1,263 Posts

Nice contrast on the Parker D4 4 Iron "Turkish" barrels Elvin
Drew Hause is online now   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 05-16-2024, 10:19 AM   #5
Elvin Ehrhardt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks guys. Yes it’s a 12 gauge. The fluid steel barrels have 2 3/4” chambers and the Damascus barrels have 2 5/8” chambers, but I have fitted the Damascus barrels with a set of Chaszel 28” 20 gauge adapter tubes. This allows the use of any modern 20 gauge shells in this beautiful old gun. I chose Chaszel over Briley because unlike Briley who makes their tubes from aluminum, Chaszel uses high tensile steel. A few ounces heavier but they handle both lead and steel shot. I have test fired the 20 ga tubes and they pattern very well. As for the type of Damascus, I’m far from a Damascus expert, so whether it’s D4 Damascus I’m not sure, but I did notice that the pattern seems to be very much tighter than others I’ve seen before. Another factor was the amount of time needed in the Ferric Chloride to etch the pattern. Most Damascus refinishers recommend only 30 to 45 seconds in the etching solution. That didn’t work for mine. It took a full 2 minutes before the Damascus pattern became visible and even then it was very light. It wasn’t until the hot coffee bath over night when it darkened the patterns. From what I’ve read it seems that the acidity of the coffee attaches to the freshly etched steel but not the iron thereby enhancing the pattern.
Elvin Ehrhardt is online now   Reply With Quote