Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Well, I TRIED to hunt with a Parker
Unread 03-24-2016, 11:11 PM   #1
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Default Well, I TRIED to hunt with a Parker

Went out to my favorite ptarmigan spot yesterday. Didn't see any tracks so I just snowshoed a trail on the hillside to scout for tracks and to put in a trail to use next time. I left the gun, 28" VH20, in the plane, of course, which guaranteed that I'd run into a bird, which I did. I watched it fly away feeling like an idiot. There were a lot of tracks, which was encouraging. Today was another brilliant sunny day so I loaded up and went back out to see if the bird would be in the same spot. Unfortunately, SOMEONE, not sure who, forgot to grab the forearm off the second set of bbls for the Repro 28. I certainly wouldn't ever do something that stoopid, now would I??? Anyway, putting my plane survival .22 into service as an alternate, the bird was very near to where I found it yesterday and was just consumed sauteed in a sherry/cream/mushroom sauce over rice. During the post hunt rest periods yesterday and today I read some of a friends dissertation on the gold deposits of southwest Alaska and sipped Earl Grey tea. Does it get any better than this?? TOMORROW I will remember the Repro forearm...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ptarmigan Lk Mar 23 2016 mail.jpg (334.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Sidehill snowshoeing 3-23-16 mail.jpg (354.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Three Ptar landings Mar 23 2016 mail.jpg (436.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Ptarmigan Mar 24 2016 mail.jpg (359.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Ptarmigan Lk Mar 24 2016 mail.jpg (160.4 KB, 12 views)
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2016, 04:44 AM   #2
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,718 Times in 2,584 Posts

Now if you tell me that you hit that bird on the wing, I'll really be impressed! Thanks for the great pics.
Unread 03-25-2016, 06:05 AM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,921 Times in 12,560 Posts

Great pictures again Richard. What was the temperature that day?

Do those small lakes have any trout or are they mostly inhabited by pike and forage fish?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2016, 06:41 AM   #4
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,197 Posts

"TOMORROW I will remember the Repro forearm... "

Richard, just don't forget the rest of the gun this time....
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2016, 08:30 AM   #5
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,113 Times in 676 Posts

Ditto on the great pictures! I always enjoy them. Look like you guys finally got some snow.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #6
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Well, no trip down there today; we're heavily clouded over so I couldn't work on my tan. Guess I'll go soak in the rec center jacuzzi to get rid of the "creaks" from all that snowshoeing instead. I doubt there would be any fish in a lake like that Dean. Too shallow and no real creek in or out. I doubt that even grayling make it that far up the river. There's a beaver house in the lake but it hasn't been occupied in a long time. It was a toasty 30deg when I landed so officially "T shirt wx". This spot is up in the Ak Range at 3200ft elevation so always gets good snowfall. There was a good 8"-10" snowfall up there within the past week - the leftovers of the 8" that Anchorage got.
Unread 03-25-2016, 08:04 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

nice richard....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #8
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Change of plans. It wasn't near as bad as I figured and it was clearing so I saddled up for another try. This time I actually hunted with a Parker and got 3 birds. I snowshoed over the hill into the same creek where I got 6 birds in a day last year and saw lots of tracks from the air yesterday. It worked. I had 16 flushes of about 12 birds. A few I flushed more than once. It was a warm day and seemed more like wading through wet concrete than snowshoeing by mid afternoon. I thought I hit one of a pair that sailed off and on the way out I flushed just one of them in the area where I thought they landed. Ha!, I thought, that bird was hit and is dead here in brush somewhere. I started looking and sure enough I actually spotted it, face down, a white bird in white snow and in dense brush from about 50ft away. What are the chances? I kicked his buddy up again also and knew he was hit but hot hard and I found him also. I used all old paper shells - a vintage #9 load from somewhere and green ribbed Remington Express and red Western Super-X. I love the old shells; why would anyone want to use anything else? That might be my last trip of the year as it's 45deg here and the snow is going fast. You can see that the bird on the left is starting to change to summer colors. The one on the right is likely YOY; small beak, just a touch of red around the eye. They sure are pretty. Strangely enough, as white as they are, that's how you spot them in the snow; they are whiter than just about any snow so you just look for anomalous white spots and once you tune your eyes you can actually spot them from at least 150yds away, sometimes further. You can see the contrast in my picture; they are much whiter than the snow beneath the shoes. For whatever reason also, they stink to high heaven compared to other grouse, and it's not a pleasant 'stink'. I'd suspect a decent dog could smell these things from a very long ways off. They have really cool little furry "yeti feet" too. Maybe that's what I need! I am so glad I got off my butt and went out again. I will have no trouble going to sleep tonight; a good workout on snow shoes is unlike any other form of exercise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W River Ptarmigan hunt 3-25-15 mail.jpg (275.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Wood River ptarmigan 3-25-16 mail.jpg (300.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Wood River Ptarmigan head 3-25-16 mail.jpg (109.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Ptarmigan yeti feet mail.jpg (131.7 KB, 4 views)
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 03-25-2016, 08:20 PM   #9
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,197 Posts

You say it easy, but I still don't know how you find those birds without a dog.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2016, 08:41 PM   #10
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

You just walk through the brush until you either kick them up or, more often than not, you hear them clucking their distinct alarm call which you home in on and head towards, looking hard. Quite often they'll sit and let you get pretty close; not today though for the most part. Most of them flushed pretty wild or I would have had more than the three I got. The creek bed isn't all that wide either so you can pretty easily cover it all by weaving around some and they generally start giving an alarm call from pretty far out and often hop onto a hump or a lookout will go up into a tree for a better view of what's coming, which certainly helps. You learn to ID and follow fresh, and I mean really fresh tracks also. I find a lot of ptarmigan that way; I'm constantly assessing the tracks I cross and often follow them. A lot of people seem to not know how one finds birds without a dog. The simple answer is that you just have to become a better hunter. Once in the creek today I got the 16 flushes in less than 1.5hrs, and most were within an hour; that's not bad. I don't think a dog would do well in some of this deep snow either and certainly not a smaller or short legged dog. There's places where you sink to over your knees on these big snowshoes. Some winters the snow up there is waist deep powder when I go up; that would be pretty tough for any dog. Sure wears me out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post: