Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

LC Smith Arrived This Week -Before and After Pics
Unread 05-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,846 Times in 1,290 Posts

Default LC Smith Arrived This Week -Before and After Pics

A number of months ago, I purchased a LC Smith 12ga w/28" Barrels Field grade circa 1998/99 I believe. The previous owner had the wood completely refinished (nicely) and the barrels re-blued (nicely). Although my dad shot Parkers all his life, he never ceased to tell me and my brother how nice the LC Smith's were. So when I saw this clean Smith double, on impulse and out of the memory of my father I bought the dam thing! But there were a few things about it that concerned me most. I didn't like the fact that although the blueing was nicely done, it wasn't original and I cared even less for the 3 position safety. I guess that in the days of live pigeon shoots, it was the thing to build these guns with the 3 positions (Those of you who are familiar with these old Smiths know what I'm talking about. In the rear most position, the gun will fire, safe ON is the middle position and the forward most position is OFF. (OFF-ON-OFF is the configuration). Since we live in a 2 position world today, I wanted to have this safety converted to a 2 position only so no one down the line in my family who inherits this nice double will confuse anything. Safety was my primary concern. I also wanted the frame case colored as close to factory spec as possible. Just didn't like the fact that it had been blued. One of our PGCA members was kind enough to recommend a fellow in West Virginia by the name of Jerry Andrews who he said was a LC Smith guru and could work wonders. (He was right). I sent the gun to Jerry, we discussed what was to be done, Jerry made some good recommendations and explained everything to me which I appreciated very much. The gun is back now. Jerry's work is self explanatory. Here are some before and after pictures. I would not hesitate to recommend Jerry for Smith work.

Before and After:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0987.jpg (561.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1404.jpg (535.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1407.jpg (512.8 KB, 5 views)
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allen newell For Your Post:
Unread 05-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,348 Times in 924 Posts

I do not know if the Smith three position safety worked the same as the Ithaca three position safety but on the Ithaca at least, the purpose was not to just have it in the fire position front and rear, but that in the rear position it was not an “automatic” safety. That is it does not return to the middle or “safe” position when fired and the shells ejected. In the front position it does act as an automatic safety, with it returning to “safe” or the middle position when fired and opened. Perhaps the LC Smith configuration is different.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 05-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

You're correct Steve and that was my concern with this double - that it might be loaded and someone would pick it up not realizing that in the rear most position it is really ready to FIRE. It does return to the middle SAFE position from the forward most FIRE position after firing. I'm happy with this configuration.
Unread 05-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
Wayne Johnson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Beautiful gun.

There is an Ithaca at my LGS that has a hang tag that says "three position safety." I had wondered what that meant. Thanks for the information.
John 3:16 NKJV
Wayne Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne Johnson For Your Post:
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
paul stafford jr
Forum Associate

Member Info

beautiful ! very nice checkering to, how about some more pictures
paul stafford jr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paul stafford jr For Your Post:
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,436 Times in 4,454 Posts

He really did a great job on those case colors
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I'll take some additional pics over the weekend and post. Been a long day at the shop (we were hammered all day long as the stripers have finally arrived in the Canal and everyone's fishing).

I failed to mention earlier that Jerry called me one day and said that the LC Smith lettering on the side plates was so thin from the earlier blueing process that we should re-cut the lettering so as to stand out properly. I readily agreed and Jerry had his engraver re-cut the lettering. Did a very nice job.
More pics as requested
Unread 05-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #8
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default More pics as requested

Additional pictures as requested. By the way and so I don't offend anyone who feels strongly about 'restoring' an old double gun. This gun had been messed with before I purchased it so I figured that bringing it back to some semblance of what it may have looked like as it left the factory would be appropriate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1411.jpg (517.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1406.jpg (461.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1407.jpg (524.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1405.jpg (516.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1408.jpg (538.1 KB, 4 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to allen newell For Your Post:
Unread 05-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,539 Times in 825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen newell View Post
Additional pictures as requested. By the way and so I don't offend anyone who feels strongly about 'restoring' an old double gun. This gun had been messed with before I purchased it so I figured that bringing it back to some semblance of what it may have looked like as it left the factory would be appropriate.
Allen, the gun came out very nice, i think you did the wright thing! scott
Unread 05-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

nice gun allen really beautiful...i have a coupla lc smiths with the 3 position safty i really like them but you do have to be careful... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post: