Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Remington VHE Specs
Unread 12-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
Jerry Andrews
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Remington VHE Specs

I purchased a Remington VHE, SST, AE, ( Serial # 240203)tons of original case colors and blueing. Someone altered the comb however, and made a beavertail. I'm a long time stockmaker specializing in returning doubles back to how they were when they left the factory so the wood is not a problem. Here is my question. The Parker book lists this gun with all options as I have it, but with 32" barrels. The gun has 30" with the line across the end of it, and tons of choke in each tube. I know of one other mistake in the book with a description of details vs. serial number, could this possibly have been a mistake? I can't imagine docking the barrels on a 32 inch gun but...I've seen a lot of hacked up messes in my life. Is there anyway to tell for sure? One thing I don't like is the bead on the gun. The end bead is some sort of a RayBar looking thing instead of a regular upside down bead. I'm an L.C. Smith freak, so this Parker has me thrown for a loop as I just don't deal with a lot of them, but this one sure has good metal. Can anyone help? Thanks so much, Respectfully, Jake
Jerry Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Jerry Andrews's homepage!
Unread 12-13-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 34,010 Times in 12,595 Posts

Jake, There are quite a number of errors in the Identification & Serialization book that are laegely due to typographical errors. Have you actually measured the bores and chokes? Have you determined how long the chokes are? Parker Bros. chokes were long, about 3" to 4" with a parallel section for the last 1/4 to 1/2 inch while Remington chokes were not at all like this. Remington chokes were not cut "ogee" but were relatively short, conical affairs with little or no parallel section. So if you have "tons of choke" in a Remington Parker, chances are very good that the barrels were not cut.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2009, 07:44 AM   #3
Jerry Andrews
Forum Associate

Member Info

I guess tons of choke is not actually correct, but with the dividers I have, and using a micrometer to measure the dividers, it's showing about 2 1/4 inches of choke in each tube. What about the Raybar style sight? What that ever used on the Remington guns? Jake
PARKER CHOKE
Unread 12-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default PARKER CHOKE

Meriden Parker choke usually begins about 4 inches before the muzzle, and is about a few thousandths at 2 - 2 1/2 inches before the muzzle where the taper steepens. The choke was cut from the breech forward, and has an ogee curve that cannot be duplicated by reaming from the muzzle.
Parker's orders came from Bridgeport after the DuPont takeover, and there were probably more orderbook entries scrambled than before. There was a backlog of Parker guns, and Remington directed the shop not to start guns if it were possible to deliver from inventory. It is not improbable that barrels were swapped to fill orders.
If you can get access to a Stan Baker bore gauge, (or other) measure the bore at 1/4 inch intervals from 4 inches behind the muzzle to the muzzle; a distinct ogee curve will appear in a Meriden full choke. With a little practice, it is possible to feel this choke with a set of inside calipers; set the calipers to just drag at - 4 inches and pull them out slowly.
The streamer attached is an original Carrie Stevens Grey Ghost, laying on a 43 year old photo of itself. Both have been stored in the same envelope for that time. Note the photo has faded more than the streamer

Best, Austin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VI 41 ORIGINAL AND PHOTOweb.jpg (27.1 KB, 248 views)
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Austin, my former dentist here in Andover had about two-dozen of various Carrie Stevens' streamers mounted on the walls or his office. We used to talk fly-fishing while I was in his chair . . . or rather, he would talk while I would say "unnng, ung-ung, unggg ung"
Anyway, he closed his practice and mover to Peterboro NH about twenty years ago.

The saddle hackles in an original Gray Ghost were not really gray at all but were more a pale lemon-bronze. I have only ever been able to find one saddle in that color and I developed my own pattern of streamer using those feathers. I is my "confidence fly" above all others for fresh water though I have taken many salt water species with it. I really think it is the color of the saddle hackles that turns the fish on so.
Unread 12-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

I think Ithaca patented the RayBar sight. I rather doubt Remington installed any of them on Parkers.

Nice Streamer Austin... I wish my hackle had held up as well over the last 43 years.
Dave Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
Jerry Andrews
Forum Associate

Member Info

As a bamboo rod builder and fly tyer, I sure can appreciate those streamers! Jake
Grey Ghost
Unread 12-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Grey Ghost

Here are some original Stevens Grey Ghost wings that came from Folkins. The Salmon streamer is ca.1903 from the collection of Dan Brenan

Best, Austin

I had better get back on topic before you guys fire me. We had a Trojan story in PP last issue- first I think since Harry and Dean sent theirs. We could use one next issue. Also, we haven't had a trap gun story in quite a while.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GRAY GHOST WINGSweb.jpg (13.3 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg BRENAN 4 S 12 DB TWO BLUEweb.jpg (13.2 KB, 182 views)
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #9
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,074 Times in 1,731 Posts

In the 1937 and the 1940 Remington price lists the Parker Skeet guns are listed with having twin ivory beads and a red front bead if desired.
Unread 12-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Hmmm. . . Dave Suponski had the delight of shooting a nice DHE Trap just yesterday - belonged to a Trap Shooter of note too and the gentleman (contrary to what most trap shooters do to their stocks) actually . . .

Well, maybe we should let Dave tell it...