Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

The Borden Parker Afield
Unread 01-07-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Default The Borden Parker Afield

Well, I finally took the Borden Parker into my favorite pheasant haunts. I hunted alone but kept in touch with the home front and let my farmer friends know where I was and how long I expected to be there. Just an old guy mitigating risk. I don't hunt alone much any more but definitely prefer just me, the dogs and nature. Not anti-social, just find I enjoy the lone hunt. The weather was reasonable for a December day in Saskatchewan. A few of you southern fellas might consider it damn cold but nothing a good parka and balaclava and gloves won't tame.

I had tromped through a few of my usual spots with "Charlie" sniffing but not finding. I had made a new contact earlier in the season and decided to try my luck there. After a short time with the owner, Charlie and I started our trek along a creek bottom of deep grasses and cat-tails with steep banks covered in willows. This habitat ran for about 1/2 mile. There was a lot of sign in the snow that the birds were around. "Charlie" moved a few out of the willows but I never was able to get a sight line on any bird. The cover thinned eventually and we continued working east into the morning sun. "Charlie" became extremely birdy, her long tail lashing cat-tails as the game was on. A nice rooster flushed and my first shot with the Borden Parker was a miss but on the report a second even bigger rooster sent the snow flying. He was crossing left to right and the second barrel load of Remington #6 shot happened to intersect the flight path at 40 yards out. "Charlie" dutifully brought that nice rooster to me with the pride of a job well done showing in her bird dog grin. He was a heavy bird with lots of the fat that gets built up to ward of starvation as food sources dwindle over winter. He was also a very tasty bird done in a casserole of mushroom wine sauce and quinoa.

When I opened the gun, the two spent shells were ejected but when I re-loaded, the gun would not shut. I pushed the extractor rods forward by hand and it closed. When I got home, I removed the rods and determined that one was slightly bent. Some judicious tapping and light sanding on high spots brought every thing back into order. The gun works flawlessly but over winter I intend to strip it down and give the innards some attention that they have not likely seen in 108 years. Gotta love a Parker Gun.

Previous thread discussing the Borden Parker CLICK

A pic of the first Saskatchewan pheasant taken with the Borden Parker. Until I found this Parker, it was a resident of the Annapolis Valley in Nova Scotia.

Unread 01-07-2015, 01:47 PM   #2
10ga Hammer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Glad to see one of those pictures made it to the Home page, Awsome !!
"Double guns are a sport and a pastime built into a beautiful package to which I attach myself when entering the great theater of autumn, those days now grow more precious because we are given so few".. Robin Lacy
Robert Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Rambler For Your Post:
Unread 01-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #3
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Jack good to see you back here. Bring that one to the U.P. this year just so I can drool over it.
I thought you would be someplace much warmer with the new bride.
Unread 01-07-2015, 08:32 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

good hunt jack thats a really nice gun i m glad charlie s still doing so welland thats bird is beautiful againt the snow charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 01-07-2015, 09:05 PM   #5
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,729 Posts

Jack,Great story and it even greater hearing from you Sir..
Unread 01-07-2015, 11:16 PM   #6
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks for all the responses. It is an honor to see the home page use the picture. As for the new bride, we managed to get to Alaska when it was hot here and in a few weeks we will find our way to Mexico, when it will be really cold here.

Here is "Charlie" on another cold day with her beautiful big solid birds. I accounted for 1.5 roosters. Photo taken by one of my hunting buddies, who got 2.5 roosters. We both hit one of these birds, which required a little extra lead removal. All were delicious.

Again, the Borden Parker is featured. My undisputed rooster was another left to right crossing around 35 yards. With F/F barrels, I don't dare shoot them much closer.

Two balaclavas were worn on this hunt. They were off for the pic but back on right after. Oh, the ammo here is #4 paper Canucks. I found a box of pristine Canucks from the 1950's and they were a most fitting choice for the Borden Parker. Half that box has been expended and I have to admit quite a few shot holes in the sky between each successful shot.

Unread 01-08-2015, 06:53 AM   #7
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,107 Posts

Great Pictures Jack and Beautiful Birds ! That gun is Gorgeous !!!!!!!!! I have a couple of Buddies I hunt with but like yourself ,I always enjoyed going it alone ,something very pleasant about the Woods and the Dogs !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 01-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #8
ForrestArmstrong
Forum Associate

Member Info

Nice report, you don't look old to me.
Unread 01-08-2015, 11:15 AM   #9
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I will enter my 68th year in a few weeks. Hunting keeps me youngish but truly many of the "old" joints rebel. I will continue to ignore that as long as a higher power allows.
Unread 01-19-2015, 10:41 AM   #10
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,205 Times in 1,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Cronkhite View Post
I will enter my 68th year in a few weeks. Hunting keeps me youngish but truly many of the "old" joints rebel. I will continue to ignore that as long as a higher power allows.
That ain't old! Just kicked over that year myself. Hope yours is a good one!