Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Living the Past.......
Unread 12-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,052 Times in 1,179 Posts

Default Living the Past.......

I've had a day of days, wouldn't trade it for a sack full of money lemme tell you. Hunted this morning for geese over in Missouri, was heading to Anna to visit Gerald Droge and my phone rang. Was my good friend Mr. Russell giving some news. Gerald and I had planned a real old time duck hunt for this week but there just weren't any ducks anywhere we could hunt that wasn't just covered up with people. Mr. Russell had invited us to his place to do it but he just wasn't holding any birds so we'd kind of given up on the idea. Well, the report was that a good number of divers had shown up on the big pond and that we could hunt the afternoon if we could make it. He was heading out of town but gave us the run of the place.

I broke the speed limit getting the rest of the way to Gerald's house. Thankfully I had my sack of wooden Victor decoys in the truck and my Parker hammer 10 gauge under the seat. We quickly loaded up a boat, Gerald's rig of the same decoys, and we burned up the roads heading for the pond. You can see the results of a couple hours shooting in the photo. Limits of canvasback, redhead, and bluebill, all killed like our Great Grandfathers would have done it.

Metal reed duck calls, Gerald using one of his own manufacture and me using a Tiff Roseberry III a third generation call maker from our local area. Canvas stickup geese are 30's era made by Pete Wessinger of Cairo, IL. Duck decoys are Victor Animal Trap Company out of Pascagoula, Miss. This was a mutual rig, I had ten and Gerald had eight, mixed bluebill / mallard / and canvasback.

Gerald was shooting his lifter 10 gauge Parker with brass shells and black powder hand loads of bismuth. I was shooting my D grade top lever hammer 10 gauge with RST NiceShot. Gerald had my envy with the brass shells and he offered half but only had 20 so I stuck with the RST which I knew would do the job.

We killed a pair of canvasback out of bunch of nine that decoyed right in. Then Gerald had a double on bluebills out of the next bunch which came off his side, I didn't have a shot. We barely got reloaded when a big mixed flock of 30 bluebills and redheads started circling, we let them land right in the spread so we could get a better look then jumped them up and went to work. When the literal smoke cleared, we had seven flopping and got to counting ducks pretty close. Thankfully the Red Gods had smiled and we didn't have too many of either. We needed one bluebill to finish up limits and Gerald dusted off a single that came in feet down.

Guess you don't need 100 Greenhead Gear decoys, Benelli autoloaders, and acrylic duck calls to kill em. But of course, Gerald and I already knew that.

P.S. Thanks to my buddy Jeff Pelayo for aging up that first photo for me. He's a wonder with those things, had it done in about four minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg received_10203594547324780.jpeg (108.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 1228141623b.jpg (544.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 1228141558b.jpg (491.9 KB, 4 views)
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,379 Times in 4,435 Posts

Awesome!
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

looks like ya ll had a glorous day as they say...thr duck gods gota be with you destrey...by the photo it looks like you and your friend mite of did this hunt a 100 years ago..mighty nice picture for sure...hope to hear of more hunts....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,196 Posts

Looks like you had a Great day !
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,237 Times in 3,277 Posts

just tell me it was a classic boat and you would have it all

great story- I really like the aged first photo

thanks for sharing the hunt
Unread 12-29-2014, 06:09 PM   #6
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,052 Times in 1,179 Posts

Boat was aluminum from the 60's, that's why I didn't show it. Hah!
Neither of us owns a wooden one unfortunately.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,237 Times in 3,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destry L. Hoffard View Post
Boat was aluminum from the 60's, that's why I didn't show it. Hah!
Neither of us owns a wooden one unfortunately.
road trip

http://eauclaire.craigslist.org/boa/4822723375.html
Unread 12-29-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
Now that's a neat boat !
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,107 Posts

Destry ,Looks like You Guy s had the time of your lives ! What a Great Photo ,you should have a couple enlarged and Framed ,one for yourself and one for your Buddy ! Thanks for posting ! I have a Hunting Photo of an Old Hunting Buddy I had taken years ago and had it enlarged and Framed for his Birthday a few years back ,you would have thought I gave him a brand new Hundred Dollar Bill he was so tickled with it ! By the way ,he just turned 93 a couple of weeks ago , he loved Pheasant hunting but can't walk the cover any more but still does a little Deer Hunting !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2014, 10:06 PM   #10
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

its not possible for me to hunt everyday but between you boys hunts and stories i don t miss much..some of these hunts i will never get to do but believe me i ve been every where... destrey s the man when it comes to water fowl...i hope russ that your 93 year youg hunter gets his deer...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote