Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Parkers/Setters--Trajedy to miraculous recovery
Unread 01-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 8,106 Times in 2,084 Posts

Default Parkers/Setters--Trajedy to miraculous recovery

It stopped raining at noon yesterday as I finished my last patient. I changed clothes, the setters were already in the truck and I headed out to Jefferson County , Ohio, to a 3000 acre private tract to hunt grouse.
Betty pointed the first grouse, backed by her sire ,Shiner. I did not even try to shoot as grouse are so scarce now. By the third productive point, I decided that I would shoot. Twelve year old Shiner had the point, backed by Betty. At the shot, the bird dropped and I sent the dogs to fetch, but both bells went silent once more. I dropped down into the ravine and found both dogs pointing a blowdown. I walked up and picked up a wing-tipped grouse by hand. After some picture taking, the day turned into disaster.
We were walking back to the truck when Betty disappeared into the blue. Betty, is a moderately close working setter with a full choke nose. I had 2 bells on her neck because of the snow cover, but I had turned her beeper collar off. This area is an old abandoned strip mine area with high walls spoil banks, stip ponds every where. I hollered, blew the whistle, and walked until pitch dark, then went back to the truck. I have a key to the gates in this area, so I drove back down in 2 miles and waited until 9:00pm and then drove back home. I left a blanket and some dog food.
There was little sleep in the Picken's household that night. My wife was very upset. I got up at 5:00am and drove the 25 miles back out to the cover on roads treacherous with black ice. No, Betty was not waiting for me where I had left the blanket and food, and I honestly felt she was probably dead. I drovve back down into the cover and in the area where I saw her last, I thought I heard a dog yip thru my open window. I turned off the truck and heard the tinkling of her bells coming down out of the strip pits. She came out into the beams of my truck looking dazed and confused. She didnt seem to recognize me, but finally the look of confusion left her face, and she rushed into me. Not ashamed to admit that I was crying. Betty, like her mother Speck, who died last summer at age 14, has been a blessing and a wonderful dog to hunt with. Everybody always wants to hunt with Betty. Betty is the dog in my avatar. I am posting the pictures from yesterdays hunt. Betty is the blue belton setter on the left---the gun, my old faithful Parker VH 16, 1 frame, 28" now choked IC/IC.
Thank you Lord for another day with my dogs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0673.jpg (549.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0670.jpg (537.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0672.jpg (527.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0674.jpg (489.0 KB, 8 views)
Harold Lee Pickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,926 Times in 12,563 Posts

Phew! All's well that ends well I guess, but I'm sure it was a scary night!
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
Christopher Piercey
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'm glad to hear everything's okay
Christopher Piercey is offline   Reply With Quote
Dogs
Unread 01-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Twice Shooter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Dogs

Harold, I've wondered if I was stranded on a lonely island who would I want for a companion, a beautiful woman or a faithful dog. I've closen the dog . Dogs are the best people in the world! Very glad everything turned out good. Cheers, Tom
Tom Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

Harold, I know the feeling and the relief when it turns out not so bad. Ten or fifteen years ago my neighbor, Roger, and his Wiemer, Midas, was hunting with me and my Pointer, Ringo, on the B&L coal lands in Noble County. Midas went over the edge of a "high wall" and we feared the worst. We went around and down to the pit and found him pretty well beat up and carried him out. He went on to hunt many more seasons and succeed in several trials. Both of those fine old dogs are gone now.
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,073 Times in 1,730 Posts

Harold, That story made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Glad it all worked out okay. Years ago a hunting buddy and I were chasing grouse in mid-Vermont and one of his Brittanies bolted out of the cover and hit a electric fence around a pasture. She bolted and it took us until the next morning to find here. As you said it was a long sleepless night. Any idea what happened to Betty?
Unread 01-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,113 Times in 676 Posts

Harold, as others have said, I'm glad it all turned out so well. I cannot help but wonder if you can speculate on what may have happened. There is so much that can befall a hard running dog in grouse cover that I am forever looking for pitfalls to avoid.

Nice bird, great gun, and beautiful setters. Next time out skip the drama.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 8,106 Times in 2,084 Posts

I actually do have a theory as to what may have occurred. This may be another case of Exercise Induced Hunting Dog Hypoglycemia. Yes, this is a real syndrome and occurs after blood glucose levels drop sharply--we have all heard of people in "diabetic shock">. A similar incident ocurred several years ago with another dog, and I always had to carry snacks for him to keep his blood glucose up . This is the science behind all of those canine endurance products using maltodextran. It doesnt mean the dog is diabetic, but I will have her checked out. Google the syndrome to find out more. I will call my brother tonight, he is a veternarian, but he is in Ashville, NC.
My wife says Betty is very subdued at home today, but you can bet she will get lots of loving when I get home.
Harold Lee Pickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,300 Times in 863 Posts

I am happy it ended well. I too have lost a dog all night and you don't sleep at all. what a feeling when you find them.
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,638 Times in 1,114 Posts

Harold ,Glad to hear the GOOD NEWS ! That had to be a long night ,Our Maggie and her Pup, Annie went missing a number of years ago ,we never knew what happened to them but always suspected foul play ,I thought they may have been picked up along the road while we were hunting ,they just sort of vanished ! Nearly two weeks later after we had advertised all over town about them a young neighbor Lady on her way to Church happened to see the PUP running in a local field and gave me a call ! Naturally ,I went right away and found the two of them , they were about five miles from home ,the PUP looked as if it never missed a meal or lost a minutes sleep and my Older Dog Maggie could barely walk ,her pads were worn down to raw stubs and her handsome Frame work of a normal 60 pounds was down to about 20 and she was stumbling along ! It appeared someone was taking rather good care of the Pup and was hoping the Mother would succumb to what appeared to be the inevitable ! If some one did take them ,they sure had it figured wrong ,Annie ,as nice as she is ,never turned out to be the Hunting Dog we had hoped and Maggie was that " Once in a Life Time " kind of Dog ,that could just seem to find Birds any where ! Well with that little story told ,I am sure Glad you got Betty back ,and it looks like that will always be quite a memorable hunt ! Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote