Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

humidity ?
Unread 10-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default humidity ?

What should the humidity be in a gun room ? Mine was at 70% and I was getting rust problems. I'm keeping it between 40 - 50% now. Is that low enough ? Paul
Paul Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 10-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Brian Dillard
Forum Associate

Member Info

I live in Colorado...humidity runs about 20% out here...no rust problems.
Brian Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Dillard For Your Post:
Unread 10-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
Dollar Grade
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harm View Post
What should the humidity be in a gun room ? Mine was at 70% and I was getting rust problems. I'm keeping it between 40 - 50% now. Is that low enough ? Paul
Hey Paul, where have you been hiding out...?? I wouldn't know, but I do now that I need to get a thermometer and a hydrometer in there. It also serves as the beer fermenting and carbonating room....
Unread 10-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,728 Times in 1,587 Posts

My basement is often damp, but I use a Goldenrod in my safe, and have never had any problems.
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

John, I had a Goldenrod and a 100 watt light- 70% humitidy. Now I run a dehumitifier. It seems ok at about 45% but the dehumitifer running keeps the temp at about 105 - a little hot. So I let it get to 50%, plug it in and when it gets to 40 I unplug it.
Kurt, how you doing ? Been keeping busy at the club - we built a covered/ inclosed 5-stand and a " pigion ring " . Along with our " duck towers " for the fall, we're having fun. You'll have to come out and shoot. Bring the "usual suspects" along. Paul
Paul Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 10-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
Mike
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've read a lot about humidity in basements and safes. Has anyone ever tried using a vacuum food storage system in a safe or other long term storage? Size wise it should work for handguns and ammunition. I don't know if it would be able to pull a vacuum on a long gun though.

Mike
Mike Wilkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 03:58 AM   #7
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,221 Times in 1,196 Posts

Paul,

I hope we're not talking about "relative humidity" here. Wait, I probably shouldn't tell that joke on the forum.....

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 06:59 AM   #8
Dave Miles
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destry L. Hoffard View Post
Paul,

I hope we're not talking about "relative humidity" here. Wait, I probably shouldn't tell that joke on the forum.....

DLH

Oh, come on Destry. We can handle it.
Dave Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
C Roger Giles
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dave if Destry's stories about humidity will be rather steamy if he tells the storys I've heard him tell of his past, also probably present too.

Roger
C Roger Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Looks like we're in for stormy weather??
Unread 10-10-2009, 10:43 PM   #10
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Looks like we're in for stormy weather??

Paul's humidity questions are good- I have both a Goldenrod and the circular canister with the treated crystals in my Browning Gun Safe- about once a year you put the canister in a 350 degree oven for a few hours, the pink color returns and you are "good to go"--A few other ideas in passing- I have my safe set on treated 4 x 4's- to keep if off the poured cement basement floor, cement is porous to some degree, depending on the mix, and hydroscopic in nature, like a sponge--I also have a dehumidifier and it runs on automatic, with the drain hose going into the sump pump. I also have two overhead 4 foot dual flourescent lights in the "Gun Room-Man cave" and they are on 24/7- not as much heat as incandescent, but some--

Now Paul-I have shot twice at your Club- the newer 5-stand building (I shot there in July) is great but I didn't see the pigeon ring then. Is this new since the last MI Side-By-Side event your club hosted? The only place I have shot "Club Birds" as far as pigeons are concerned in MI is up at Chuck Connell's club in Marion. Is your club going to have live bird shoots, or is this another great clays event? Could you possibly post some pictures of both the new five stand building and the pigeon ring? Thanks--

Yes, I have heard a "relative humidty" joke or two- something along the lines of an amorous mother-in-law, a surprise return early by your wife and a suddenly damp forehead,

Roger[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Francis Morin; 10-15-2009 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: eliminate the Zim-Man reference
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote