Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

belgium 10ga
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default belgium 10ga

I just aquired a pretty nice belguim 10ga approxamatly1870s vintage. Gun is marked 10 under the forearm along with the usual proff marks. Question no1. when I drop a 10ga hull down each chamber the empty cases fit a little tight. are the chambers sized differantly on these guns. Question no2. dose anybody no the chamber lenths on thease old belgium guns or am I going to have to pour another chamber cast. Question no 3. Is there a differnce between the brass hulls and paper or plastic hull diameters. The reason I ask is this gun may be chambered for brass hulls. Any info would be appreciated.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Wayne, using our standards, the 10A brass hull is the same outside diameter as the paper hull. The 10B is smaller. I do not know if European gunmakers did the same thing. There is a bit of a difference between the 'A' and 'B' brass hull. The 'B' will be a loose fit in the 'A' chamber. The 'A' will not fit in a 'B' chamber. All this probably does not apply to your gun. Depending on the gun your 10 gauge hulls were fired in, they will be a little snug, or very snug, when attempting to insert them in a chamber. Try a properly loaded shell and see what happens. Good luck!
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Landskov For Your Post:
Unread 02-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Roundsworth the hulls I tried are once fired hulls from precision. They have not been resiezed so that might be why they are tight. The hulls work fine as is in my 10ga parker but the chambers may be extra tight on my belguim gun. I nead to find something to resize with.
Unread 02-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
Theodore LeDurt
Forum Associate

Member Info

The newer plastic hulls with the steel base seem to expand more than older brass based hulls. I read where paper and plastic hulls are the same diameter, however the paper hulls sure fit easier into my tight 10's.

The once fired Remington hulls definately need resized, infact during the IU vs Ohio State basketball game this afternoon, I resized 300 of them with a Mec Supersizer.
Theodore LeDurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Theodore The hull I am useing are remington hulls. I bought a 10ga mec press off of ebay and got screwed on the purchase. ho ever took the pictures sure new what they were doing. there were missing parts and the sizing die is for a 12ga so it is useless. I gess this is all going to have to wait till I can get a new press. Do you happen to no if the caceings are 2 5/8 in these old 10s. I can pour a chamber cast but it is a pain to do.
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
Theodore LeDurt
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mark Beasland of Marks Born Again Bird Guns, (Mosinee WIsconsin), has a 10ga chamber reamer that can take a 2 5/8" out to 2 7/8". I had this done on a couple of10ga's.
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,063 Times in 1,729 Posts

Wayne, Contact MEC for all the parts you need for your 10 gauge press. Also you can download a manual on line so that you will be ordering the right parts. MEC customer service is wonderful and I have yet to speak with someone there that didn't know what they were talking about.
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Theodore. Do you happen to remember how much they charged you to lenthion the chambers. These old belgium guns don't carry much value. The last guy I asked abought this wanted my first bourn for doing the job. I could have bought a hole new press. Al though its a neat gun it just ain't a parker.
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

A Daze. This old mec press is a 310. When I went on the mec website they said there were no parts avalible. I will try calling and see if I get the same resaults.
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
Theodore LeDurt
Forum Associate

Member Info

Wayne, I believe it is around $40 per barrel.