Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Galazan Barrel Questions
Unread 09-14-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
VH20
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Galazan Barrel Questions

I know we've been through this before, but I still have a few questions and was wondering if anyone has any more insight.

The problem: A 1923 VHE 00-frame 28 ga. w/ sewer-pipe bores - beyond hope, and believe me I've tried to be optimistic. The rest of the gun is in pretty good shape.

As I understand it, the only original Parker barrels CSMC offers are for 0-frame only. They have 28s, but only in 0-frame. They DO have 00-frame Repro barrels, but only in .410. They ALSO manufacture the Remington Parker in 00-frame 28ga., including barrels. They claim these guns (which I assume includes the barrels) are identical to originals.

Here are my questions, and I hope a few of you with some knowledge of these can take a whack at them:

1)What is the physical difference between the Repro Barrels and Original Barrels, and is there any possibility of fitting Repro barrels to the original? Even if they can, I'm not man-enough for a .410, but they obviously have 28 ga. tubes on hand so why no 28 00 frame Repro barrels?

2)If they already make 28 00-frame barrels for the Remington gun, why would they not be available like all the others are? If they were, would they be likely candidates for fitting to an original? A set of those in-the-white would be righteous for the gun I described.

It just doesn't quite make sense to me - they have the capability to offer so many more options because they already have everything in place. If you're making 28 ga. 00 frame barrels for one gun, making .410 00 frame barrels available, and 28 0 frame barrels available, it would seem that 28 00 frame barrels would be a no-brainer because they already have them. I really HATE to have these barrels sleeved. If Teague ever offers their process for 28s I wouldn't hesitate (perfect solution in my mind) but for now that is just a wishing well. A set of replacement barrels would allow shooting of the gun now, and the originals could sit in the safe until someone is one day able to re-line them.

I know I should be directing these comments to CSMC, but I offer it up here for discussion because you guys have a different perspective, lots of experience, and aren't towing a company line. I probably will approach them eventually, but until then, what do you guys think? Thanks,

Jim
Jim Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jim, I went to their website to remind myself what their ad for Parker Repro bbls said, but I couldn't find it; the new A-10 must be taking up too much space. Last time I looked they were advertising 28 ga 28" mod/full bbls for the 28 ga 00 frame Parker Repros. In the original literature, Parker Repro claimed their bbls could be fitted to original Parkers (except Trojans of course) so I don't see why the Galazan bbls couldn't be also. The Remington Parkers made by CSMC cost $49,000 so I doubt you'd want a set of those bbls; they would be really expensive. I guess you'll have to call them since I don't know of anyone on this board who has bought a set yet; the .410 bbls are not even available yet (I asked last week).
Joe
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
VH20
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks, Joe. Regarding the Rem Parker barrels, there shouldn't be any difference in those barrels in-the-white, and the others. A set of raw Parker barrels is the same for any grade until they start to finish, engrave, etc. I wouldn't think there would be any difference in those and the 0-frame barrels for original Parkers they offer, until they start finishing them. But that is purely assumption on my part.
Unread 09-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,118 Posts

While on the subject, does any one know if Galazan will be set up at the Vintagers and if they possibly will have any barrels there available if they are there ?
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,728 Times in 1,016 Posts

I doubt very much that you'll see CSMC at the Vintage Cup.

The replacement barrels are still listed, follow the link below and scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://www.csmcspecials.com/SearchRe...=17&Search.y=8
Greg Baehman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 09-14-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks, Greg. It says the bbls are for 0 frame 28 ga but that has to be a misprint since all Repro 28 ga guns are 00 frame. I see they're IC/Mod which I think is better than the Mod/Full I thought they were. Jim, check, but I'll bet those "Remington" Parker bbls cost more, even in the white. I'd like to know.
Joe
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 03:20 AM   #7
VH20
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernfeld View Post
Thanks, Greg. It says the bbls are for 0 frame 28 ga but that has to be a misprint since all Repro 28 ga guns are 00 frame. I see they're IC/Mod which I think is better than the Mod/Full I thought they were. Jim, check, but I'll bet those "Remington" Parker bbls cost more, even in the white. I'd like to know.
Joe
I took it to mean that they offer 28 ga. barrels for your 0-frame Repro. Same thing with the 16 0-frame barrels, they're offering something to make the Repro you already have more versatile, not replace what you have. But I would rather you be right. That might give me an option.

Regarding the Remington Parker barrels, I'll bet they aren't available at all, except probably as an extra set for an ordered gun, and certainly not in the white. I wonder if they follow Parker's model of pricing barrels at 1/2 the price of the complete gun (25,000.00!?). The point that I'm pondering though, is that theoretically they should essentially be the same as the Original Parker barrels they're making in other gauges and selling for 1850.00 (except for the AA engraving). In the white could be even less, in theory. Doubtful, but from a practical standpoint totally logical. I wonder if offering 00 frame 28 ga. barrels could be seen as competing with their client (Remington)?
Unread 09-15-2009, 06:16 AM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,951 Times in 12,570 Posts

Gents, the 28 ga. was originally produced by Parker Bros. on the 0-Frame and stayed that way for some fifteen or more years. I believe the 28 ga. went to the 00-Frame in the early to mid-twenties. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 08:08 AM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,189 Times in 4,903 Posts

Tony's 0 frame 28 gauge Repro barrels would make the 20 gauge Repro a real horse. However, if I had a 20 gauge Repro, I would have to have a set of those barrels. Let's hear from the first person who successfully fits a set of the .410 barrels to his 28 gauge Repro.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 08:34 AM   #10
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Baehman View Post
I doubt very much that you'll see CSMC at the Vintage Cup.

The replacement barrels are still listed, follow the link below and scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://www.csmcspecials.com/SearchRe...=17&Search.y=8
Greg,
CSMC has been to every Vintage Cup Event that I've attended. A quick check of this years vendors shows that they will be there this year as well. If someone is interested in possibly purchasing a set of these replacement barrels they should call Lou and ask if he would bring a set to Pintail.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote