Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Recommendations from senior collectors to a novice wanted.
Unread Today, 06:32 PM   #1
James Clarke
PGCA Member

Member Info

Lightbulb Recommendations from senior collectors to a novice wanted.

I am very new to the Parker scene about 1 month in. I own a DHE 12ga 28" pistol grip splinter forend reproduction gun and it fits like a glove. For the senior experienced collectors out there who've had experience with all the different configurations grades and gauges. what would you recommend I look for next to begin my collection?

I would mostly be using it on the skeet and sporting clay fields and occasionally getting after quail, dove pheasant or grouse when the hunting opportunity presents itself, thanks!
Unread Today, 06:46 PM   #2
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,443 Times in 4,457 Posts

Best place to start is join PGCA which you have done. Don’t be afraid or discouraged by early purchase mistakes. There is a lot to learn and it’s a fun ride
Unread Today, 06:46 PM   #3
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,341 Times in 674 Posts

Hello James and Welcome!

I am not sure if I am quite a senior collector yet, but I have spent a lot of money on Parkers

Here are a few ideas:

1. How about a 16 gauge? Lots of history and they are wonderful to shoot
2. A hammer gun - In my opinion, Parker made the best American hammer gun. I really like the lifter action, unique and yet so functional
3. Damascus barrels, which you would get anyway in a hammer gun, are a work of art. Plenty of info and shells available for those.
4. Something that just speaks to you. Search GunBroker and GunsInternational there will be something you like, it may be a certain grade/gauge or it may be the condition or configuration of the gun.

Quick edit: Go to stores/events with sxs and see what you like and ask alot of questions. It is a wonderful journey!

Have fun and enjoy!
Jay
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post:
Unread Today, 07:15 PM   #4
Rick Roemer
PGCA Member

Member Info

I would echo Jay’s comments to talk to people and go to events like the spring southern. Everyone I’ve met in this organization is super friendly and willing to help. We need new folks like you to keep it alive. Personally I would go for a similar DH Parker like what you have except a non-reproduction just to have one of each. 12 gauge will be the least expensive. I love the Damascus patterns on the old guns. Sub gauges are also another interest to consider. Get the Parker Story books you will be amazed at the craftsmanship and history.

George Bird Evans
Rick Roemer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick Roemer For Your Post:
Unread Today, 08:11 PM   #5
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,786 Times in 1,071 Posts

Ditto most of the above advice with another suggestion: Go to as many gun and gun-related shows within convenient driving distances for you, no matter how small or seemingly obscure (e.g., trappers conventions, decoy shows, etc.). You NEVER know what you may find at one of them.

Two of the best examples I know of: At a 100 +/- table local show in the reception room of a Holiday Inn on the PA/NJ border at Milford, the Hartman brothers of Elmira Arms fame contemplated leaving early Sunday AM since the show had been such a bust for dealers buying. Just before lunch time, their agreed-upon packup time, an overalled old geezer showed up with what turned out to be a De Luxe Winchester lever action (either an 1873 or 1876, don't remember) rifle in .45-90 caliber in around 70 % condition. Their table being first one in the door, they hailed him and began their patois. The old guy was gruff and said he wouldn't take a penny less than a thousand dollars for it. The Hartmanns relieved the old guy of his burden and decided to skip the hash house show lunch for a later stop at a fine dining establishment on the way home.

Similarly, I got "roped" into dropping my pre-teen son and his best buddy at a Renaissance Festival happening just outside of Annapolis MD in the mid-1990s, and had a couple of hours to kill before picking them up for our hour-plus ride home. I saw a sign as we took the exit for a gun show at the local fire house in Parole. WTH, I thought, you never know. It was terrible show with a poutpourri of themed dealers selling everything from modern replica tomahawks to WWII flotation devices. About half way through the tables, I came upon a pawn shop dealer who exhibited everything from Nazi helmets to Winchester roller skates to De Lavale milker rubbers (new in the box!). He also had out a screaming c. 1917 12 ga. 30" BHE Parker VR straight grip 12 ga. with TWO foreends, one Splinter and one beavertail. I gave him a hefty deposit on the gun and returned the following day, selling my nice 20 ga. Browning Superposed to another dealer, then bought the gun. It turned out to be a rare early prototype of the VR and second generation Parker single trigger, predating the catalog offering of both by some 4-5 years. I think my net outlay for the Parker was c. $2K. They are out there!
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread Today, 08:49 PM   #6
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,127 Times in 2,439 Posts

Quote:
turned out to be a De Luxe Winchester lever action (either an 1873 or 1876, don't remember) rifle in .45-90 caliber in around 70 % condition.
Cannot be so. To be a .45-90 it would have to be an 1886. The largest thing the Model 1876 came in was the much shorter .45-75, and the Model 1873 was made for the much shorter .44-40 and .38-40 with the .32-20 being added in 1882.

As for the OP, I'd highly recommend buying and reading the books. The two-volume set The Parker Story, the Larry Baer books and the Ed Muderlak books. Seek the advice of those here before money changes hands.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 09:03 PM   #7
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,784 Times in 901 Posts

A copy of the book:

Parker Gun Identification & Serialization

Some are asking several hundred dollars for one. I will p.m. you one I found very cheap so no one else buys it before you can get it.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote