Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

How to fix loose barrel to frames ?
Unread 02-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,786 Times in 1,265 Posts

Default How to fix loose barrel to frames ?

When it is apparent that the hinge on a Parker is sufficiently work down that the fit of the barrels to the frame is loose and there's a little 'wiggle' (don't now how else to describe it), what is the accepted method of repair. The hinge pins on Parkers are part of the monoblock construction, they don't punch out, they're part of the frame (I think I'm describing this correctly but if not, rest assured I'll be corrected). Is the correct repair to basically weld some metal to the hinge and/or the back end of the forearm metal bracket that marrie up to the hinge?

Is this a difficult repair and how costly? Ballpark?
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
Eldon Goddard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I have had fun trying to fix my Ithaca flues. Already failed once but getting ready to try again as soon as I can find someone to weld the hook again I think my welder friend is purposely not answering his phone.
Eldon Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,732 Times in 4,645 Posts

The hinge pin on Parker's is actually a replaceable part that also has the extractor arm attached to it. It can be tricky to get out and fitting up a new one is difficult too since the fit is so tight in the frame.
Some wear to the hinge pin which causes some side to side play, can be fixed sometimes by lightly peening the very underside of the barrel lug in the right spot.
A piece of shim stock can also be used on the barrel lug to compensate for wear.
Unread 02-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,784 Times in 602 Posts

Allen, the roll joint in a Parker is removable and replaceable, if you can get your hands a few spares measure them up to find the thickest one,just carefully remove the hinge pin screw or push out the hinge pin depending how your's is set up ,the roll joint can be then carefully tapped out towards the front of the action with a long brass drift,be careful to keep it straight...if your lucky this may work...otherwise your left with the weld/smoke pot and file and this is not something to jump into blindly, a careless or misinformed man on the welder can ruin your barrels in a second.Getting a little too excited on the file right at the end can have you back to square one in a heartbeat.
My cousin ,who's a top notch machinist and myself were talking about turning out a few new rollers of various thickness for my project pile a while back,when time allows we may give it a go. Peening ,although a quick fix is not the right way to go about this IMO ,THIS will cause an uneven wear that in time will worsen the original problem...If a quick /cheap fix is desired an epoxied shim is the best bet.

On a side note,make sure the looseness your getting isn't coming from the replaceable barrel wedge's that some Parkers are fortunate enough to have.

Good Luck !
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,948 Times in 4,792 Posts

We really don't fool with removing hinge pins and roll joints today. The first thing we want to know is whether your "wiggle" is vertical or horizontal, whether with the gun open or closed. We will wait for your reply. The cure will depend on the answer.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,588 Times in 1,676 Posts

Send your gun to Doug Turnbull with a check for $350. and it come back perfect-----no worries. He mirco welds the hook and re-fits the gun. An off face gun and messed up screw heads drive me crazy.
Craig Larter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Turnbull has done work for me before and I trust his team.

Bill Murphy: the slight wiggle is horizontal. there is no noticeable vertical wiggle in the gun.

I V Much appreciate the feedback. This is a terrific forum.
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
Bob Jurewicz
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,059 Times in 579 Posts

One or two pieces of Scotch Tape on the barrel hook will usually provide a very temporary tightening and also give you an idea of how loose the fit. Each layer is about .0015".
Bob Jurewicz
Bob Jurewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

A Scotch to go with my Parker. What a great idea! I'll give it a go Bob but I suspect the ol' 16 will be going out to Turnbull's.
Unread 02-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,948 Times in 4,792 Posts

Craig L is correct. For a horizontal wiggle the correct fix is the hook. You can do it yourself or you can send it out. Take your pick. Fooling around with the hinge pin or roll is way overboard in tightening a Parker.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote