Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

new found love for the 10 gauge short
Unread 01-07-2014, 02:04 AM   #1
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default new found love for the 10 gauge short

Well I shot my first sxs 10 ga today my bonehill hammer gun with rst 1 1/8 oz loads and it is the lightest recoiling smoothest shotgun ive ever shot. Now im looking at buying another short 10 ga this time a rem 1894 hopefully. I just wish rst would sell them 25 to a box instead 10 but im happy . I cant see why the short 10 ga isn't more popular. 1 1/8 in a 10lb gun is a baby . its ashame most people think you need a benelli to have a light kicking gun
Milton Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 04:37 AM   #2
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,414 Posts

Congrats Milton, shooting a short ten is fun indeed. Good luck with buying that Rem '94, they are a lot of double gun for what they cost. With regards to the 10's popularity or lack of it I believe it is a combination several things and not the least of which is the scarcity and cost of factory 2 7/8" ammo. Add to that the lack of abundant reloading information, the increased complexity of reloading with hull cutting and filler wads, the heavier weight of 10ga guns on average, and the fact of the matter that it is a specialized gun that shines at ranges of 50 yards and beyond and most people just don't shoot that far and a smaller bore serves them well.

I think if you really want to get into shooting a short ten on a frequent basis you have to reload unless you have deep pockets. When I can buy my components right I can load a box of 25 for about $8.50 a box which includes hulls with an estimated life of 6 shots.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 05:26 AM   #3
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

yeah the shells are more expensive than most but it will probably take me 2 months to go through a case . I had wanted a short 10 for a good while but kept findng wall hangers in my price range. Until I ran into this bonehill. It has heavy Damascus barrels I think the original asking price was 800$ or so but he marked it down to 500$ and I bought it . the 1894 is a 1902' gun someone blued the barrels but the seller says it has shiny bores and the wood and metal is in good condition . though I found a Belgium hammer gun in good condition aswell for 300$ less but I think id like to have a hammerless gun to go with my hammergun . MY 10 ga kicks less than any 16ga or 20ga ive owned. I had a 57' Ithaca 37 16ga featherlight it was brutal to me .
Unread 01-07-2014, 05:36 AM   #4
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

It sounds like you have caught the short ten bug to me. They are a lot of fun to shoot. They will also surprise and impress you with their long range performance with those lighter loads too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 01-07-2014, 05:42 AM   #5
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

heres some pictures she may not look like much but it locksup tight and the bores only have light pitting in the right barrel

Unread 01-07-2014, 05:55 AM   #6
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

I am not up to speed on English doubles but from what I can see it looks to be a nice stout gun. What year was it built, how much does it weigh? Be careful Milton if you start having too much fun with it the next step will have you spending more money, might be a checkering refresh and or barrel refinish. :-) I would say have fun but I can tell you already are.
Unread 01-07-2014, 06:46 AM   #7
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

I believe the model is a 1886 but I don't no a specific date . It has all matching serial numbers 36,652 I think . It weighs 10lb 2 oz not heavy to me though . 32" barrels choked full/mod . the rib says Damascus but there is no Damascus pattern whatsoever even under the forend . maybe they were polished 50+ years ago and that's why they have so much patina ?
Unread 01-07-2014, 06:47 AM   #8
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

yeah I thought about having the action and barrels rusted blued . But id be just as happy getting the bores and chambers polished
Unread 01-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #9
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

That damascus will come right back if it is treated properly and the frame was mostlikely case colored. I would not blue anything.If I couldnt go the expence I would just gently clean it and use it the way it is.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #10
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

yeah I actually like the patina it has built up on it .
probably just get the bores polished up .
yes it has a small spot where you can see case hardening .
a lot of c.g bonehills I see are wall hangers so im glad to have this one . If I can find a smaller gauge bonehill one day in my price range I will grab it just to have two . Ive narrowed my next short 10ga down to two guns aswell