Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Rocky Mountain Grouse
Unread 09-02-2024, 08:14 PM   #1
David
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Rocky Mountain Grouse

It was almost perfect weather for the opening of Grouse season in the Rocky Mountains. I had scouted a few places the last month to balance terrain, distance from home, and chance of finding some birds. Walking up and down the Rocky Mountains isn't as easy as a cornfield I can tell you that. We were hunting around 9,000 feet give or take and focused on the edges of the tree lines walking across the fall lines. We had success with the almost 100 year old VH. Regarding the Parker - seems everything is wrong with the wood. Beavertail on a non reinforced barrel - Stock wood does not seem to be original and the LOP has changed from the info stated on 'The Letter.' But it dropped a couple of Grouse all the same. My English Springer Spaniels had a great day and long naps had by all after a morning in the woods. Hope you all get out and have success with your hunts this fall. -David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3446.jpg (527.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3460.jpg (584.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3478.jpg (561.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3469.jpg (594.2 KB, 4 views)
David Safris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2024, 08:47 PM   #2
Parker-Hawes
PGCA Member

Member Info

Just your walk in the mountains with your dogs & a Parker would make the day ! The Colorado high country is just so darned beautiful. The air the terrain the grand expanse of the forests. You don't really have to get birds, although it is nice. A high country Grouse hunt is simply a grand day out. Congratulations & Best, Paul
Paul D Narlesky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul D Narlesky For Your Post:
Unread 09-07-2024, 09:55 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,901 Times in 12,558 Posts

Envy is mine sayeth the Lord... but I must step in and claim that envy for myself!!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 09-07-2024, 11:10 PM   #4
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,316 Times in 299 Posts

Dave,

I especially like the pictures of your Springers.

Our Jasper, an English Springer, has been gone for about one year. Your pictures make me smile and sob at the same time.

Thanks.
Bill Jolliff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Jolliff For Your Post:
Unread 09-08-2024, 07:04 AM   #5
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,347 Times in 3,276 Posts

Sounds (and looks like) a perfect hunt. A gun you like to carry and shoot is a treasure. Good dogs and beautiful country make it heaven.

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 09-08-2024, 11:35 AM   #6
David
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thank you Paul .. I remind myself this all the time when I am out. It is a blessing to live up here. It is a rugged place to live and I guess as the locals say - 'there is not bad weather - just bad gear and preparation.' I have been out a few more times and never got a good shot... I try to focus on the process and the experience and enjoy what the day gives me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D Narlesky View Post
Just your walk in the mountains with your dogs & a Parker would make the day ! The Colorado high country is just so darned beautiful. The air the terrain the grand expanse of the forests. You don't really have to get birds, although it is nice. A high country Grouse hunt is simply a grand day out. Congratulations & Best, Paul
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David Safris For Your Post:
Unread 09-08-2024, 11:52 AM   #7
David
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thank you for the note - I have been blessed with two good dogs and I cant imagine the first year after they leave us.. hope you find your next great dog soon.

Living in the mountains brings a type of uncertainty in owning dogs. Zena found a porcupine last fall. That was painful and expensive. A mountain lion was nabbing dogs out of people's yards last winter before the DNR finally acted on it.. the last one was pretty wild a guy was out in his yard with a big lab and the lion ran out and grabbed the dog right in front of him. I had always told myself the lions would never come up to the house if we were out and the lights were on. We get moose in our yard periodically..haha. those things are massive. We live right on the edge of a wilderness area so from fox to the newly introduced wolves and everything in between you have to be aware. The spaniels love it up here and get very confused when we go anywhere where the high temperature exceeds 75 degrees.

I spend a lot of time out in the woods with the dogs and Spaniels are really great companions.

we got caught in the rain the other day .. made them pose for pictures. enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Jolliff View Post
Dave,

I especially like the pictures of your Springers.

Our Jasper, an English Springer, has been gone for about one year. Your pictures make me smile and sob at the same time.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3373.jpg (563.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3370.jpg (564.8 KB, 2 views)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to David Safris For Your Post:
Unread 09-08-2024, 12:04 PM   #8
David
PGCA Member

Member Info

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/col...summit-county/

Off topic .. but here is the local news story about the mountain lion. This was a few miles from our house. I have had a couple of instances in the woods where both dogs stop and will not continue forward in an area. Makes your hair stand on end to know they are saying 'we need to leave.' I've never seen a lion or the wolves but we know they are out there. I only carry a gun when i hunt and you suddenly feel pretty exposed.
The Following User Says Thank You to David Safris For Your Post:
Unread 09-08-2024, 02:07 PM   #9
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,347 Times in 3,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Safris View Post
https://www.summitdaily.com/news/col...summit-county/

Off topic .. but here is the local news story about the mountain lion. This was a few miles from our house. I have had a couple of instances in the woods where both dogs stop and will not continue forward in an area. Makes your hair stand on end to know they are saying 'we need to leave.' I've never seen a lion or the wolves but we know they are out there. I only carry a gun when i hunt and you suddenly feel pretty exposed.
We’ve encountered wolves in Minnesota and had one come after one of my dogs. Number 8 shot from my 28 gauge and it didn’t even flinch.

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: