Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Remngton Date codes
Unread 01-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
David Lien
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Remngton Date codes

Did Remington work on Damascuss Parkers??? Would Del Grego Have worked on a damascus Parker in the late 50's and put date codes on the gun????
David Lien
David Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,729 Posts

Happy New Year Dave ! From what I have heard Remington would not work on damascus Parkers. Date codes on a damascus gun could have happened in Meriden before the move to Illion I would think. I have no opinion on Del Grego's policy on damascus guns.
Unread 01-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,553 Times in 12,447 Posts

I have a CH Bernard barreled gun with Remington date codes stamped into the barrel flats. You've handled the gun Dave - but I think we're in agreement that it went back to Remington for forend work.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,925 Times in 870 Posts

I do not think Parker used date codes, it was a Remington thing I believe?
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,175 Posts

But did they start using date codes after Remington bought them out but before the move to Ilion?

I have early 50's some letters on my beater BH between a former owner and Remington that say they won't work on the gun because they think it has damascus barrels. So apparently they'd checked the records on the gun and were unaware that it had been rebarreled at some point.

This was before Delgrego started doing the repair work when they were still using Frank Lefever. So at some point they stopped working on them for sure.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,729 Posts

That would be my best guess.That Remington management implemented the date code program before the move from Meriden.
Unread 01-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,925 Times in 870 Posts

It was Remington polocy that they stamped their guns with this same code during the final assembly phase of their gun manufacturing process.

They didn't do this with the Parker gun during its manufacture but they did use the codes on repair work done on Parkers.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destry L. Hoffard View Post
But did they start using date codes after Remington bought them out but before the move to Ilion?

I have early 50's some letters on my beater BH between a former owner and Remington that say they won't work on the gun because they think it has damascus barrels. So apparently they'd checked the records on the gun and were unaware that it had been rebarreled at some point.

This was before Delgrego started doing the repair work when they were still using Frank Lefever. So at some point they stopped working on them for sure.

DLH
Destry; Do you or any of the others know if there is any where or anyway to get Records of the guns ,Frank LeFever worked on .The reason I ask is I have a gorgeous 12 Ga., DHE ,32" Barreled gun ,English gripped stock Parker single .trigger gun I purchased at a gun show ,the gentleman I bought the gun from said he had a letter from LeFever that he had done the work on this gun ,I had hoped to recieve the letter but we have never hooked up again .
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #9
Labowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Russ, it maybe a work order letter like Larry will supply you with if you have them work on your gun
E Robert Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,107 Posts

Robert ; Thank you for the reply , and you are probably correct but how would a person get in touch with anyone from LeFevers today ?
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote