Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

last day
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,803 Times in 3,968 Posts

Default last day

well today is the last day of squirl and crow season here in mississippi...dog and me will go crow hunting this evening think ill take the old 8 ga parker id loaded up some bb rounds mite get a shot way out yonder...i dont know where all them days went in febuary but they sure went fast...gotta go to town this morning and get a biysicle inner tube..gonna try ridind a bike on turkeys this time...got to figure out a way to carry that 8 ga ...maybe use a sling... maybe a gun rack on handlebars...or a scabard like used on a horse...anybody got any ideas.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Walt Kowalski
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
well today is the last day of squirl and crow season here in mississippi...dog and me will go crow hunting this evening think ill take the old 8 ga parker id loaded up some bb rounds mite get a shot way out yonder...i dont know where all them days went in febuary but they sure went fast...gotta go to town this morning and get a biysicle inner tube..gonna try ridind a bike on turkeys this time...got to figure out a way to carry that 8 ga ...maybe use a sling... maybe a gun rack on handlebars...or a scabard like used on a horse...anybody got any ideas.... charlie
February sure did go fast Charlie! Good luck with the turkey gun/bicycle mount!
ron belanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Charlie the last time I rode a bike carrying a piece of sporting equipment was years ago while carrying an expensive fly rod. I was on a bike trail to get to a good fishing spot. To conserve weight I simply carried the rod in one hand over the handle bars. I was too smart to put it in a case. When I turned a corner the rod went into the front spokes and simply snapped in half. My new 2 piece rod was now a 4 piece rod. Fortunately my friend had an extra rod but it sure did not take the sting out of never using that rod. Nope. I have no suggestions other than put it in a case and be careful. If that 8 gauge gets in the front spokes you will need a new bike. Good luck with those crows.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

crows did not show up i gave out my best calls and had the volume turned up full blast...heard some in the distance but not a one came in to the setup...not to be out done i just blasted a big dirt clod...bout froze out was about 40 degrees but felt like 20....went to town and got that new inner tube..now gotta go buy a bicycle pump you cant not air up the tube with old style air gages...done had the thing in the tire before i noticed it carryies a differant valve stem...so beware if your buying a inner tube for your bike...live and learn i guess.... charlie
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie, I have a pump with dual spigots, one for the Presta and one for the Schraeder valves. See if you can get one of those and cover both types. Crows aren't stupid but 40 doesn't sound too bad. Beba's at the vet for a couple of days going through a major overhaul so she won't come home with pups some day and Archie misses her bad. So I went out with him for a couple hours, not a whole lot of fun with intermittent sleet squalls, but he treed a couple squirrels and found a pile of deer poop to grind his head and shoulder in. Some say he's trashy for a bird dog, I say he's versatile.
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fred Preston For Your Post:
Unread 03-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

i love those squirl treeing bird dogs..had one when i was a kid tree and retrieve those squirls just as good as quail...her name was sue...she was a fine bird dog and just as good at squirls... still miss that ole sue talk about her often...these animals become part of our lives dont they.... i will see if walmart has one of these dual pumps ... charlie
Unread 03-03-2013, 12:52 AM   #7
Paul P.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie, the easiest answer for you is a handle bar mount off of a 4 wheeler adapted to your bike. But putting that heavy old 8 ga. up there I would be careful about weight. All that extra weight over the front wheel, when you hit the front brakes you will be going ass over tea kettle over the bars.( the visual in my mind is unbelievable)
The other option is a scabard hung saddle style under the top bar gun but out the rear left side of the frame.