Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Shots at Grouse
Unread 10-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,084 Posts

Default Shots at Grouse

I have just returned from another great Grouse hunt in Michigan's Upper Pennisula. Last year a fellow PGCA member and I were discussing 16ga loads when he mentioned a member from the 16ga Society that had lived in the U.P. and now resides in the Chicago area. Well it turns out this gentalman was my old neighbor from Marquette. We made plans and joined forces Friday for a Grouse hunt south of Marquette.

Friday am we met in Gwinn for breakfast and hit the woods from there. Mike has an older GSP Sophie and a young Setter named Drummer and I had Daisy my 8yr old GSP. We hunted several different areas rotating the dogs at each destination. Birds were pointed in each location and some were actually shot at. The leaves have thinned substantially from two weeks ago but are still thick but at leat a glimpse of the Grouse was had and shots were taken. Although we didn't hurt the population any we tried and that along with connecting with an old friend after what has to be at least 25 years is what counts. There was excellent dog work by all three and I got my first Woodcock with Gunner's gun.

How do these birds fly through the thick cover without getting hurt amazes me. Why don't they fly across the logging road? The river is the Escanaba and some of the cover along it.

Friday was the only "hunting day" as it rained Saturday but I did some exploring of the many two tracks and found some "birdy" looking areas for another time and Sunday I drove home as it was raining yet again all 7hrs of the trip To sum it all up 14hrs in the truck, one hunting day, one Woodcock shot, reacquainted with an old friend, good dog work....priceless
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grouse hunting 001.jpg (536.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Grouse hunting 002.jpg (531.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Grouse hunting 003.jpg (504.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Grouse hunting 004.jpg (538.6 KB, 4 views)
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 10-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,436 Times in 4,454 Posts

Beautiful photos.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 10-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,348 Times in 924 Posts

Very nice Rich, and congratulations on your first bird with Gunners Gun. I am sure he helped on the point.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 10-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,925 Times in 870 Posts

That looks like one big timberdoodle!!
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

that river photp was just beautful.. nothing like catching up on old times with a friend youve not seen in years.i stubled across a old acqaintance i had not seen seen since 1974 this past saturday and dicovered we dont live 5 miles apart...you trip with gunner and a old friend is priceless ...thanks.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post: