Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Back in the game
Unread Today, 06:45 AM   #1
Mark Kircher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,444 Times in 297 Posts

Default Back in the game

I am up early and thinking our NY season is less than 2 weeks out. I am hoping to hunt quite a bit this year as a battle with Vertigo kept me sidelined for some of 2023. I was fortunate to gather quite a bit of ammo from a retiring friend. My guns are in order. Decoys ready.
I have a few wishes for this season-
First I am hoping to blood a few guns .
Widgeon #2 restocked by Brian a few years back #159075 the JN Young gun DHE 20 #1 framed PG DT 32" FF last of 8 widgeon gun club guns.
Also the 20 Gauge C engraved Superfox with 30" FF barrels (1 of 1) which I am saving for a Superfox winter hunt with Craig. Pics attached.
Second - and this is up to chance and fate- I enter 2024 at 446 Ducks and Geese without a band. (Yes I keep detailed records of every duck hunt) The Span goes back over a decade- my last band in pic attached. Perhaps this is the year I break that streak. Perhaps not. No matter I suppose, as I have never been able to decide if a banded bird is more of a trophy than one that had not been trapped when it was young????
In any event my last band was with a good friend who passed a month ago. I will be thinking of him often band or not.
Reports and pics to follow for those interested. Every season is a new adventure and I have high hope for this one.
The last pics are of the Vanderbilt Marsh and Irondequoit bay where I will spend most of my time.
The table is set!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Widgeon #2 JNY 159075.jpg (485.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20 gauge Superfox C.jpg (491.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg MALLARDS BANDED DRAKE .jpg (520.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Vandyland 2024.jpg (502.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg I-Bay Geese.jpg (509.2 KB, 1 views)

– Gordon MacQuarrie, The Last Stories of the Old Duck Hunters, 1985
MARK KIRCHER is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 01:12 PM   #2
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,291 Posts

Mark, so glad to hear you've conquered your vertigo and that you're excited for another hunting season. I'm not sure non-hunting folks can know what a significant part of living the hunt is for those of us who cherish the tradition. Too bad for them(!)

Good luck blooding those guns, and please report back on some of your outings.

May this be a memorable season for you (and everyone!).

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: