Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Proper way to check barrel wall thickness.
Unread 04-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
Quack me up!
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Proper way to check barrel wall thickness.

I'm planning on having a gunsmith check out the barrel wall thickness on a set of damascus barrels. Is there a correct way to do this that I should specify to him as far as checking the wall thickness every so many inches etc.?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Bob
Bob Dombeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,119 Posts

Bob ,Check out this Link ,This is the Gauge ,most of the Guys use to measure Barrel Wall thickness and the correct way to do it ! Best ; Russ http://vimeo.com/5011609
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 04-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Russ, thanks so much for the link to the Hosford barrel thickness gauge. I had always wondered how the barrels were measured. Now I know. That made my day.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
Quack me up!
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis V. Nix View Post
Russ, thanks so much for the link to the Hosford barrel thickness gauge. I had always wondered how the barrels were measured. Now I know. That made my day.

Dennis
+1 Thanks much!!
Unread 04-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,194 Times in 4,904 Posts

Before you give the gunsmith your instructions, make sure he even has a gauge. "Gunsmith" is a very relative term in this country. A very large percentage of them do not own a wall thickness gauge and an even larger percentage do not own a Hosford gauge.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
Quack me up!
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Before you give the gunsmith your instructions, make sure he even has a gauge. "Gunsmith" is a very relative term in this country. A very large percentage of them do not own a wall thickness gauge and an even larger percentage do not own a Hosford gauge.
I'm finding that out in a hurry!! "We have a caliper" seems to be a common answer. I have two places that have a good reputation in general that I'll be calling on Mon. morning.
Unread 04-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote:
And alot of them that own a wall thickness gauge (old style) don't have any idea how to use it..
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,345 Times in 3,303 Posts

if someone is doing it for you, I would make sure they measure the whole length and circumference of both tubes and identify the MINUMUM wall thickness they find. 25 or 30 thousands most spots is great unless they miss a spot where a dent had been raised and that left 15 thousands right next to your finger on the foreend.

I expect tedious to do the first few times(I'll know when I finish my set up). But someone who does it often can do it very smoothly - Jack Rowe checked out a set of barrels for me at one of the early vintagers, it would have taken me longer to calibrate the settings.
Unread 04-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,345 Times in 3,303 Posts

Quote:
right you are - one local shop uses a bore gauge inside and a caliper outside -subtract and divide by two
Unread 04-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,119 Posts

I am sure if you fellows that don't have a gauge would contact Brad Bachelder ,or one of the Fellows that advertise in DGJ ,they would be happy to measure and check your Barrel Walls ,and probably at a very reasonable cost and turn around time ,also Brad refinishes those Damascus Barrels to look like a Million Bucks while it's there . Nobody hates the cost of shipping more than me but the way I look at it is ,the cost of shipping to know your gun is safe to shoot is way less than the price I would pay to be one handed should the barrel Walls be too thin ! Just a thought ! Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote