Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

How does this modification effect value?
Unread 07-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
Chris Langer
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default How does this modification effect value?

We located a very clean Parker VH 20 gauge on a "0" frame. The good news: about 95% original blue with a small amount of freckling in the blue near the fore end and wear on the trigger guard, 50% case colors, 1923 production, 26" uncut barrels, (not sure of chokes) double triggers, weight 6 lbs, great stock dimensions, LOP 14", very good to excellent wood. Now the bad news, someone added sling swivels. Appears to be an old addition with 3/4" European style swivels. The front swivel is attached with four small screws to the underside of the rib almost touching the forend. The rear one is attached in the usual manner with a wood screw. My wife has always wanted a Parker and really likes this gun. The dealer has it priced at about $4000. Our question is, do you feel the price is a bit high considering the swivel modification? Thanks for your opinions!
Chris Langer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,073 Times in 1,730 Posts

Chris, Is there anyway you could post up some pictures of the gun? Also the serial number would help. Parker did in fact install swivels at the factory and if they are factory that wouldn't affect value to my mind. Also a factory letter may help to determine this. But lets start with some good pictures and a serial number.
Unread 07-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
Chris Langer
Forum Associate

Member Info

The shotgun is at a gunstore so I can't post pictures. But. the serial number is 201950. Thanks.
Chris Langer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 18,365 Times in 4,727 Posts

Well, if the rest of the gun is in very nice condition, then the sling swivels are a small, yet glaring detractor that could be rectified if need be, but not without expense. I will let others also voice their poinion on this, but I think that $4k might be a bit high considering the addition of the swivels. If they are not original.
Unread 07-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Book says no extras when it left first time. I guess serialization book is when it left 1st time
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
Andy Kelley
Forum Associate

Member Info

Chris it is for your wife ...and it will make her happy..swivels be damned ..write the check ..life it too short ..she will love the gun and you will be a hero enjoy the Parker, sincerely, andy
Andy Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

I had a pair of swivels taken off of a german gun by Keith Kearcher a few years ago. The holes were drilled in the bottom of the rib like yours. Keither removed/plugged and re-rust blued the bottom rib. I couldn't tell it had been done even in direct sunlight. The cost then $100. Removing the rear swivel and then plugging and minor finishing and you would have never known the gun had swivels to start with. This isn't a hard fix for a gun smith.

PS. That said, take it to a good smith. I had swivels removed from another gun and it looked like the smith drove two nails in the old screw holes and finished it with a ball peen hammer. That non-fix was also $100 and ended up greatly detracting from the finished product.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

I think the price is too high but if your wife likes it and will shoot it then buy it and consider yourself a lucky man indeed!

The swivels can be removed and screw holes repaired by a competent double-gunsmith. Brad Bachelder removed and repaired the holes in the bottom rib of the LC Smith Chain Damascus 10 gauge in the album at:
http://www.parkerguns.org/forums/album.php?albumid=226

You might consider leaving the swivels and finding a nice European type sling for the gun. Your wife might appreciate being able to sling the gun over her shoulder as the two of you walk hand in hand back to your hunting truck...

Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 07-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,171 Times in 4,896 Posts

Leave the swivels if they are of good quality. Fox, Parker, and Ithaca guns have been documented with factory swivels. Unfortunately, pictures of the guns with those factory swivels are not easy to find. In my experience, most factory swivels were of European style, less than one inch width.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
Andy Kelley
Forum Associate

Member Info

To swivel or not to swivel..I just finished restoring a Belgian hammer gun 16 ga that is so light it feels like a horse pistol.It has swivels which were appropriate for the gun and I bought a nice quality leather sling from Jeff's Outfitters . Last year in the Adirondaks we were literally going from tree to to rock to tree and would have loved to have had my gun on a sling across my back.
Andy Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote