Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

TSS shot
Unread 07-17-2020, 10:11 PM   #1
Battue
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default TSS shot

Any using it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaQcN-Dl920
Unread 07-17-2020, 11:21 PM   #2
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,006 Times in 465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Neil View Post
I was pricing some the other day the loose shot I think it came out to $2.53 a ounce which is much cheaper than if you buy it loaded . I want to try some eventually but I dont see it being sustainable for use on waterfowl but on turkey the cost is irrelevant .

The patterns ive seen can put 500 hits in a 20" circle at 40 yards .
I think a #9 TSS weighs around the same as a #5 lead pellet but penetrates deeper because it has less surface area .

TSS almost has the density of depleted uranium
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 07-17-2020, 11:38 PM   #3
Bill Anderson
PGCA Member

Member Info

I use Federal TSS #9 in my 3" 20 gauge with .045 constriction. Have had a turkey kill to 52 yards so far, but I really have to deal with a problem I never had before, "shot drop", because of the extra weight of TSS. Beyond 55 yards you have to aim above the gobbler's head, so that limits shooting to the moon.

Bill
Bill Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2020, 11:49 PM   #4
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,006 Times in 465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Anderson View Post
I use Federal TSS #9 in my 3" 20 gauge with .045 constriction. Have had a turkey kill to 52 yards so far, but I really have to deal with a problem I never had before, "shot drop", because of the extra weight of TSS. Beyond 55 yards you have to aim above the gobbler's head, so that limits shooting to the moon.

Bill
I think thats the main selling point of TSS it turns the smaller gauges into light weight light recoiling turkey guns . I want to try it in 10 gauge but I dont think 2.5 oz of TSS is needed in any application haha . All the 10 gauge TSS loads I have seen around around 2.5 oz .

Seen a picture yesterday a fellow was loading 3oz of TSS in a 8 gauge
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2020, 11:57 PM   #5
Victor Wasylyna
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,499 Times in 338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Anderson View Post
"shot drop", because of the extra weight of TSS.
Bill
What is your comparison at 55 yards? Same size lead shot? No way the higher density causes this so-called shot-drop. Perhaps the TSS is less spherical and, thus, less aerodynamic?

- Victor
Victor Wasylyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2020, 07:09 AM   #6
Battue
Forum Associate

Member Info

Have used it on Pheasants out of a 28 Gauge with 9 shot. It was impressive....

All shot at 55 yards is dropping....

Smaller shot will no doubt drop more, but since the density of TTS make it carry like lead 5's the difference will not be that great...

https://www.clay-shooting.com/features/shot-drop/

(lead 7.5's drop 5 feet at 110 yards and lead 9's 5 feet at 104yards. When fired from the horizontal. At 50 the difference would be insignificant . TTS 9's being more dense would carry better than lead 9's)

It would take a fine and highly experienced eye to notice any difference on a move, mount, shoot presentation at varying distances.
Unread 07-18-2020, 08:49 AM   #7
Bill Anderson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Wasylyna View Post
What is your comparison at 55 yards? Same size lead shot? No way the higher density causes this so-called shot-drop. Perhaps the TSS is less spherical and, thus, less aerodynamic?

- Victor
Because of the increased ranges, whether lead, TSS or any shot, like a bullet, it drops. It's called gravity. In the past, before TSS, at the usual distance of 40 yards or so, I would not think about drop, but at 52 yards with TSS my patterns are averaging 4" to 5" below point of aim.

Bill
Unread 07-18-2020, 09:31 AM   #8
Bill Anderson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Like I said, all shot and bullets drop from the moment they leave the muzzle. Here is a chart showing one example with 7 1/2 shot ...

https://rangeservices.nra.org/media/...ballistics.pdf

And since I am hunting turkey, I don't want to have to guess to the point where I am aiming above the gobbler's head. So I limit shots to 55 yards, although some TSS "You Tube" videos give you the illusion of hunting coyotes with TSS at 100 yards, which would be beyond difficult to do, with drops of 5 feet or so.

Bill
Unread 07-26-2020, 07:44 AM   #9
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,922 Times in 538 Posts

Is TSS safe in our old tight choked bird guns? After some research the answer is NO!.....SXS OHIO Thanks All
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2020, 09:19 AM   #10
Battue
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Graft View Post
Is TSS safe in our old tight choked bird guns? After some research the answer is NO!.....SXS OHIO Thanks All

I would be interested in seeing the verification of the mentioned research...

I did find this from Federal....For conversation I found the last comment perhaps relevant...

However, for the uplands, I don't think tight chokes are the best to use with TSS..However, safety is another issue....For mainly upland gunning, do we need TSS? A question the individual needs to answer. However again that is not a safety issue...TSS factory loads are low pressure and low velocity...Hot rodding them for reloading would definitely be unwise....

Product Overview
Kill gobblers at longer distances than ever before with HEAVYWEIGHT TSS. Its payloads of HEAVYWEIGHT Tungsten Super Shot provide the highest pellet counts possible. The tungsten-alloy material's 18 gm/cc density is 22 percent higher than standard tungsten and 56 percent more than lead. The result is the most energy and highest velocities at extreme range. Its rear-braking FLITECONTROL FLEX wad performs flawlessly through ported and standard turkey chokes for the most consistent, deadly patterns possible.

"HEAVYWEIGHT TSS payload with advanced buffering material
Extremely high pellet counts
22 percent denser material than standard tungsten; 56 percent denser than lead
FLITECONTROL FLEX wad provides extremely tight, consistent patterns through standard and ported turkey chokes*
Roll crimp and clear card wad keeps buffering material in place
Full-length wads prevent direct contact of the extra-hard pellets and the bore, protecting the barrel"