Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

How Much Is That Parker In The Window?
Unread 08-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default How Much Is That Parker In The Window?

I'm conducting some research on an interesting old photo, My question: Do any of the elder members here ever recall (in their younger days) walking by Sporting good stores and seeing various Parker's for sale in the large display windows?... And---would also like to know if anyone remembers an "EATON'S" Sporting goods/store on the eastern shores, perhaps in the Silver Spring Maryland area?....

Best, CSL
Christopher Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,133 Times in 1,192 Posts

That would be interesting if somebody actually did remember seeing new Parkers for sale in the window. The only two original Parker owners I ever heard of have both passed on but there are still older gentlemen that could remember them being for sale.

Post the picture Chris, be fun to see it.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,121 Times in 2,436 Posts

I can only go second hand. My Father always talked about a Parker in the window display at Seattle Hardware when he worked there from late 1935 to 1940. He said he could have gotten it for $100 as an employee, but the best he could do was a Remington Sportsman at his employee price of $38. About 1960 his Sportsman was replaced by a 2-frame VH-Grade Parker Bros. 12-gauge, that was shipped to Seattle Hardware in 1902.
Dave Noreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Window Display
Unread 08-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Window Display

I can remember a 1930 vintage Win 94 that was in the window at Van Horne Hardware in Fultonville NY until the mid 1950's. I handled and shot Harvey Donaldson's GHE 20, which was his window display in his sporting goods store in Little Falls NY in the 1920's and 30's.
I have Harvey's fly rod display rack, which I use as a barrel rack on my cleaning bench.
Best, Austin
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 12:15 AM   #5
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

I can remember new Parkers and Fox guns in the window & display cases of S.B. Mc Master Sporting Goods in Columbia, South Carolina in the 1940s. I passed by their store every afternoon on my way to catch the bus home.

Best Regards, George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 01:05 AM   #6
Dale Zywina
Forum Associate

Member Info

Eatons was a large deparment store here in Canada and sold almost everything including firearms.There are many Parker guns order and associated with the Eatons family of Canada, unfortunatly the great company went under in the late 1990's early 2000'nds, I do not no if this is the same company your trying to research, but PM me if you need more information, I know how you feel I was trying to find a Iver Johnson Sporting Goods Company and evryone said there a utility shotgun co., but for the most part they got it wrong. It was one fellow who straightened it out, regards Dale in Canada
Dale Zywina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,781 Times in 1,069 Posts

Chris; an "Eaton's" store, Silver Spring MD, and the Eastern Shore (of MD) are tri-mutually exclusive. Silver Spring MD is over an hour's drive from the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, the eastern terminus of which lands on the Eastern Shore. As Dale Z. points out, I think Eaton's was a large Canadian firm. I have never heard of an Eaton's store by name anywhere around this area (DE-MD-VA).
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks for the input gents... I was aware of the large Canadian Eaton's store, but thought perhaps this might had been a family run Mom/Pop store by folks here in the U.S with the same name... As many of you know I've been collecting old Parker and gunning related photos for quite sometime, and although I've seen several early sporting window displays, this is the first with Parker's... The original old photo was acquired a few years ago and has great subject matter if you like Parker 20&28 small bores with beavertails, and long barreled 12ga vent/rib trap models... The photo measures 7.5 X 9.5, and the Edgeworth tobacco tins should probably date the image... Photo was found in the Silver Spring MD area, and has hand penciled sketches of Skeet and Trap fields on the back with the written words "Skeet shooting exhibit"... Thought the history buffs here would enjoy this nostalgic trip back in time to simpler days and familiar shooting irons.

Second from top left is a Parker with card that reads "28 Ga Double Barrel Woodcock Gun", and bottom left is another that reads "20 Ga Quail Gun Parker"... Bottom right is a long barreled vent/rib Parker (Looks like DHE) card reads "12 Ga Double Barrel Trap Gun", and just above that looks to be a Fox Skeet gun... 3 images below.

Best, CSL

Last edited by Christopher Lien; 08-21-2009 at 12:26 PM..
Christopher Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Pachmayr White Line Pad
Unread 08-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
Greg Miller CTGunLaw
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Pachmayr White Line Pad

One of the Parkers appears to have a Pachmayr white line pad on it. The Pachmayr's site claims that they introduced pads as a product in 1949 "If" that is what I am seeing on the gun, that would date this picture to 1949 or later. See http://www.pachmayr.com/about.php
Gregory Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Gregory Miller's homepage!
Unread 08-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,935 Times in 12,566 Posts

Looking at the pictures and seeing ads for photo developing and pipes and tobacco I couldn't help thinking of early drug stores and then "Eaton The Druggist" popped into my mind. I googled it and found that Ray Eaton, a pharmacist, bought the Woodbeck Drug Store in 1910. It was a Rexall drug store located at 103 - 105 Farmer St. in Otsego, Michigan and was the first of the "Eaton the Druggist" chain.
So, maybe he sold sporting goods too . . . ?

That 28 ga. "Woodcock Gun" looks to have checkered cheeks too. The highlights on the side of the frame are probably not gold dogs and birds as I first thought.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote