Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Are you shooting FITASC ?
Unread 08-02-2024, 08:53 PM   #1
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,973 Times in 3,214 Posts

Default Are you shooting FITASC ?

For the past several years, a few of us have been making weekly trips to either Addieville, or Peacedale; both in Rhode Island. Generally an hour and 20 minutes to either venue. The round trip commutes are nearly as long as the amount of time we are actually shooting.
My local Club; The Hartford Gun Club (oldest continually operating club in the country) put in 4 FITASC courses a few years ago. The club is 3 miles from my house, and I've been a member since I was 18, 58 years ago.
Each course has 9 machines, and you shoot at 25 targets, from 3 pegs, each having a menu, not unlike 5 Stand. Peg one is 5 singles and 2 pairs (true or simo) and pegs 2 & 3 have 4 singles and two pairs each. Missed singles can be shot at twice, so you potentially need 38 shells per game, Though many of the targets are so far gone, the 2nd shot is often a Hail Mary.
There are many additional rules, such as Low Gun only (butt must be 10" below the shoulder).
To say that FITASC is very humbling is very much an understatement, especially for me. I think my first round's score, a few months ago, was SIX.
When my wife sees me walking around the place, doing my best Hang Dog, she will say "Want to go to the club and I'll Pull for you?" I'm out that door like a new pup going for a ride. One word of caution if you intend to shoot the game with one of your Parkers; have a glove for your leading hand. The gun doesn't get a lot of time to cool down.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2024, 09:07 PM   #2
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,699 Times in 2,576 Posts

I just love FITASC. That and super sporting have become my favorite venues to waste ammo on.
Unread 08-02-2024, 10:30 PM   #3
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,103 Times in 3,625 Posts

Shot it at Prospect Hall a time or two , and can’t say I’m a fan . That’s incorrect I think it was “super sporting” I shot at Prospect Hall . Think the only place I’ve been that had FITASC was Old Forge and when they started saying what needed to be done I said nope .
Unread 08-03-2024, 07:13 AM   #4
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,587 Times in 1,291 Posts

Edgar that sounds like fun and especially so close to home. I've shot registered FITASC quite a few times in years past while at sporting tournaments. Always very challenging and with few if any feel good targets, and typically favoring long barreled guns and heavy choking in both barrels. I assume your Hartford peg menus can be changed by shooters for casual shooting and that might open it up to those who want to get into the game slowly and/or with light upland guns.
Frank Srebro is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 08-03-2024, 07:27 AM   #5
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,149 Times in 1,179 Posts

I used to occasionally shoot FITASC when I competed in NSCA seriously. Though I punched into M class in sporting I never really got serious about FITASC. There are a little too many stringent rules for me to warm up to it. I enjoyed the long, challenging targets they often threw, but I was trying too hard not to break some rule, that didn't exist in registered sporting, to be able to concentrate on my shooting as needed.

One thing I did notice shooting FITASC is that I was either "on" or "off", there was no in between for me. I had to get into a rhythm with my mount and swing that some days clicked and some days didn't. I guess I just never shot it enough to get good at it.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 08-03-2024, 07:59 AM   #6
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,973 Times in 3,214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
Edgar that sounds like fun and especially so close to home. I've shot registered FITASC quite a few times in years past while at sporting tournaments. Always very challenging and with few if any feel good targets, and typically favoring long barreled guns and heavy choking in both barrels. I assume your Hartford peg menus can be changed by shooters for casual shooting and that might open it up to those who want to get into the game slowly and/or with light upland guns.
You're right, Frank. I used to shoot in my back field and despite having a little bit of land, prefer not to anymore, so as not to upset the closer neighbors. We give the menu a passing glance, and take it as a 'suggestion', but inevitably, vary it a bit. sometimes you have to go back and break the easier targets, for a 'feel good' before going back to the one that gives nightmares. No question on needing long and tight chokes. Leave that grouse gun home, although I will say I had fun with my 30" tight 28ga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
I used to occasionally shoot FITASC when I competed in NSCA seriously. Though I punched into M class in sporting I never really got serious about FITASC. There are a little too many stringent rules for me to warm up to it. I enjoyed the long, challenging targets they often threw, but I was trying too hard not to break some rule, that didn't exist in registered sporting, to be able to concentrate on my shooting as needed.

One thing I did notice shooting FITASC is that I was either "on" or "off", there was no in between for me. I had to get into a rhythm with my mount and swing that some days clicked and some days didn't. I guess I just never shot it enough to get good at it.
I can see your point, Stan. None of us are shooting dedicated target guns, but where the less than perfect fitting guns are ok at Sporting clays, It's tough to call for a bird, then mount a gun that doesn't fit. Jay Oliver remarked that a slightly shorter LOP might be better here, than one too long. I think FITASC 'rules' say 1oz max, but I notice the tub is full of 11/8 oz 12ga. hulls.

My wife gave me an hour last week so I could work on one target that no one was getting. I think I shot a box just getting to the point I thought I knew what was needed (12' out in front of it) but yesterday I had all I could do to even chip it.

The club has a lead reclamation company in this week, so a few of the 'way out' targets were moved in. One, in particular, launches from nearly 200 yards out, and hits the ground at a distance I used to think was outside the effective range of most shells and chokes. Also, leave the #8 shells home, 71/2 is what the doctor calls for here.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 08-03-2024, 10:03 AM   #7
Jeff Higgins
PGCA Member

Member Info

We shoot Peacedale 2 or 3 times a month as well Edgar. I haven't been to Addivelle in years, but I will make it back sooner or later. I would love to try FITASC, but I know it would be a challenge for me. I shoot low gun, but those long targets are tough. The longer I have to think about the better my chance to miss.
Jeff Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Higgins For Your Post:
Unread 08-03-2024, 04:18 PM   #8
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,283 Times in 3,264 Posts

I know diddly-squat about any form of clays shooting, but from the things you’ve written, my suggestion is to keep that wife.

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
FITASC
Unread 08-04-2024, 09:30 AM   #9
Larry the Gun Guy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,687 Times in 414 Posts

Default FITASC

FITASC is typically thrown at all of the state championship NSCA shoots and always at the regional shoots. But, you have to sign up quickly because it fills up quickly. And now they have FITASC for 20, 28 and 410; what a hoot! Since it requires no load over 1 ounce (and they check your ammo before you shoot) I like to shoot my 16 gauge Ithaca with 32" vent rib barrels and tight chokes. People look at you like you just arrived from another planet when you show up with such a gun, but it's my money and my time, so I shoot what I like. The challenge is that you can't practice it because every course it completely different and we rarely get to shoot long, obnoxious targets. And it may leave you stumbling off, mumbling to yourself, wondering why you paid for such torture. But if you broke them all, every time, you probably wouldn't come back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0067.jpg (61.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0070.jpg (101.5 KB, 2 views)
Larry Stauch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Larry Stauch For Your Post:
Unread 08-04-2024, 01:05 PM   #10
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,620 Times in 2,885 Posts

When we hosted the PA State Shoot in 2021 and 2022, we told the FITASC referees we are not going to enforce any "dress codes". Those are just fancy-pants Frenchy rules and we do not care. I want guys to shoot and have fun. Low gun start, no gun movement before the bird is visible and 1 oz max loads are all good though.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!