Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Orvis Parker
Unread 08-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,586 Posts

Default Orvis Parker

Looks like the folks in Manchester are pretty proud of their Parker

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=7715
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

That is a lot of money... but hey, early hammerless gun, nice barrels, nice wood, pics don't show engraving, A grade... you have to start somewhere. I'd be curious how the experts here break this one down and where they think they would bid.
Dave Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,073 Times in 1,730 Posts

John and Dave,I found this information in the Parker Story on page's 599 and 600. This gun according to the serial number was one of 45 gun's ordered by Charles Eddy Parker. They were all C,B and A grade gun's with pistol grip stock's. Some were delivered to private individuals,some were used as salesman's samples and some were displayed at expositions.

Also I learned something new...Straight grip's were not offered on hammerless guns until about 1907.

As to the price.....a bit much....
Unread 08-07-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,386 Times in 661 Posts

Action screws not indexed. Same goes for the Trojan and the GH as well. Shouldn't these small details be taken care of by the gunsmith service before the pictures are taken? The Trojan hammer screw slot is not perpendicular to the axis of the gun, so the hammer fastening screw is not mated to the cutout in the head of the hammer screw. That is one way, among many, to bugger a screw. Picky picky but I would think a business like this might take care of such details, if only for the sake of reputation.

Cheers,
Jack
Unread 08-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,635 Times in 2,670 Posts

Some A grade damascus barreled guns have sold for around that price, but it all depends on condition and provenance..

I went sporting clays shooting yesterday and shot my 20ga C Damascus. A friend shot his 12ga AH damascus that had belonged to Admiral Frank Friday Fletcher and has on the gold grip cap plate F F Fletcher, USN, Fleet Admiral. A shore bird scene with sailing ship in background is on the trigger plate, presumably off Annapolis where Adm Fletcher ( Medal of Honor awardee) was commandant. The skeleton butt plate has anchor chain. It is an outstanding and important gun from the hero from whom the Fletcher class of WWII destroyers was named. I shoot the gun well and would love to own it at a mid 20's price.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Looks like a neat gun to me. Stock not 1889 vintage as it doesn't have the early cherking pattern but may be a later factory replacement. I have a 1890 AH that has a factory replacement with that pattern. I think it became the standard AH pattern in the late 1890's. Hope it really worth that much cuase I have a CEP gun too (D6, 10 ga, 32" barrels) and would like to think it's worth a bunch.
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Masciarella For Your Post:
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,637 Times in 635 Posts

Not enough DAH for me - I'll pass.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
AH at Orvis
Unread 08-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default AH at Orvis

I went to the American Museum of Fly Fshing open house today, and called on the next door neighbor while there. Orvis does indeed have a Monday through Friday gunsmith in residence at present. I examined the AH offered for sale. It has the very fine and artistic engraving of the first few thousand hammerless guns.
Best, Austin
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Austin, what was the overall condition? Very hard to tell from photos. Thanks, Ray
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
AH Parker
Unread 08-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default AH Parker

I was not able to handle the gun because the Gun Dept Manager/gunsmith works M _ F. It was at eye level in the rack and appearred to be pretty uniformly clean and dent free, with the ssbp remaining. I was able to see one side of the frame and the floor plate. Frame seems to be covered with fine engraving with the dogs on the floorplate charactaristic of the high quality engraving on early hammerless guns. It may or may not have rebounding hammers; that would have to be determined by examination. According to Charlie's serialization it is among the first 6 Hammerless twelve ga Dam 6 guns. Price tag said $20000.

Best, Austin

Last edited by Austin W Hogan; 08-15-2010 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: Added 12 ga
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote