Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Recovery
Unread 05-20-2021, 01:42 PM   #1
Bernie Cross
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Recovery

Wondering if anyone has any advise on getting back after months of illness.
In Marc I contracted a severe case of Covid and had 37 days in hospital ans 26 days in ICU. I am now three weeks into home recovery with physical and respiratory therapy. I lost 45 lbs and lots of muscle control.
I tried shouldering a few of my guns and even my 0 frame 20 ga feels like four feet on iron pipe. I had hoped to be able to shoot at Orvis Hill Country for Father's Day in late June. Maybe not a clays course but at least some 5 Stand.
Anyone have any advise on coming back?
Bernie Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
God bless you Bernie
Unread 05-20-2021, 01:52 PM   #2
double barrel
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default God bless you Bernie

God bless you Bernie, I can't even imagine what you went through but am glad your back!
I wish I had some advise for you other than take things in stride and listen to your doctors advise.
Ken
Ken Descovich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ken Descovich For Your Post:
Unread 05-20-2021, 02:13 PM   #3
Bernie Cross
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks, it was an experience. I had the 1st shot of the Pfizer vaccine just two days before I developed symptoms. Doctors and nurses all said tat very likely saved my life. My 28 year old son, who infected me, had it and was no worse that a mild case of the flu. At 68, it effected me different.
Bernie Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2021, 03:10 PM   #4
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,557 Times in 1,370 Posts

Bernie glad to hear you made it through that nightmare. What I would suggest is regaining muscle tone and strength before attempting any kind of cardio. The best way to do that is stretching. I would find a beginner Yoga program on YouTube and start with that. I would alternate days of stretching with walking in the open air. If you do this consistently and are patient you will regain what you lost (except the weight) and then some. If you have any questions or need anything don’t hesitate to call me at 513-293-6170.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 05-20-2021, 05:06 PM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,202 Times in 4,907 Posts

Bernie, I don't live too far from Hill Country. Where do you live? Where do you normally shoot? I am in recovery from about seven years of spinal injury and surgery. I can walk, a little bit, and I shoot three or four days a week but sit more than shoot. However, I go to my gun clubs every day they are open, and still buy guns as many as I can.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 05-20-2021, 05:12 PM   #6
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,805 Times in 1,075 Posts

Bernie by all means pay attention to your sense of balance. I only spent a week in hospital and only 3 of those in ICU after a bout with the Reaper in 2007. When I got home from the hospital and tried to do everything normally (go up & down stairs, play with the dog, get out of bed or up off the John), I came near to several potentially bad falls (going down some stairs headlong trying to reach and grasp the bannister; trying to climb in and out of my boat on its trailer). It doesn't take much of a blow to fracture your skull, and the aftermath is usually all down hill from there. Take it easy & slow!
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 05-20-2021, 05:26 PM   #7
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,199 Times in 3,654 Posts

There was a gentleman at George Mason University many years ago that was head of their shooting team and thirtyfive years ago I got to know him a bit . He was a big advocate of mental imigary and muscle memory . He advocated taking an empty gun that you shot and shooting mental practice rounds in the house . Sounds kinda corny but I found it helpful then . In your case you could start by mounting the gun while seated . Maybe 20-50 times until tired , then perhaps mounting and swinging while seated . As your strength comes back then go to standing and doing the same thing . I realize mentally imagining a round of sporting would be a little difficult as I at the time imagines skeet birds and trap birds . Even if you went through the motions visualizing skeet birds I don’t see where it wouldn’t be helpful . Worst case you should be able to build muscle memory and strength . Hope this is helpful .
Unread 05-20-2021, 06:14 PM   #8
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,246 Times in 1,206 Posts

Last August 29 I drowned in a lake after an accident on a two story tall water slide. I was underwater over 8 minutes. Why I have no brain damage from oxygen deprivation is a topic for another time. I spent the next two weeks on a ventilator in ICU, then another week in private room, then 6 days in rehab before coming home on the 27th day, a Friday. The following Tuesday I saw my GP. I had lost 21 lbs. of muscle, which had atrophied. I was down to 147. I could barely walk with a walker in rehab. Each day after I got home i walked about the house, first with a cane, then holding on to furniture or counters. Each day I got just a little stronger. I ate all the protein I could. Very little carbs. After a little over a week at home I drove a little, with my wife in the passenger seat. A few days later I climbed up into the cab of a John Deere and combined peanuts all afternoon. I pushed myself hard to gain the muscle back, and did. In October I drove my Allison boat in the river (but not wide open, yet). About February I started jumping rope, boxer training style, with two jumps off the floor for every revolution of the rope. I'm up to 230 - 300 revolutions a day, now, according to how hard I work that day on the farm.

A positive attitude ....... no, make that a stubborn, bullheaded attitude, that you are going to get back all you lost, is the most important piece of advice I can offer. Each one of our challenges is different, and I haven't walked in your shoes. But, I know BASOAD, that refusing to give in, and pushing on when it seems all but hopeless is the best prescription for recovering. I never had any doubt, when they brought me out from under sedation and off the ventilator, that I'd make a complete recovery. That's what I want for you, too, Bernie. It's worth all the hard work and effort.

OBTW, the morning of my drowning (that afternoon) I shot a 96 on a sporting clays course near me. I couldn't even hold my 9 lb. MX8 up to my shoulder until about mid - October. But, at my buddies' invitation I shot a round with them in early November, I think. It was an effort to hold the gun to my shoulder for a report pair, but I got through it......with another 96. God is good.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2021, 08:33 PM   #9
todd allen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,364 Times in 1,157 Posts

It would be hard to add anything to the advice from Craig and Stan. I think that starting by just handling and mounting your guns is the starting point. Get the desire back, then just go where it takes you.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 05-20-2021, 08:40 PM   #10
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,474 Times in 618 Posts

What Stan said. I was in a bad situation last winter and am still recovering. As Stan said never, ever give up. The older you get the longer it takes and the more stubborn you need to be.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post: