Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Shot shells pressure.. how important..
Unread 07-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
Gary
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Shot shells pressure.. how important..

For a Parker or other vintage SxS from 1900-1930's with Steel barrels (not Damascus) how important are the shells we use as far as pressure is concerned.
I always stay under 1200 fps..
I have used RST 2 1/2 1125 fps and 1187 fps shells with no issues as the pressure is supposed to be around 6500, was wondering if I could use some Winchester AA Extra Light Target 1oz #8 1180 fps.. but dont know the pressure on those as Winchester doesn't share that data.
Dont want to have issues with the 2 nice Parkers (and other vintage SxS's) I have so want to make sure I am using the correct shells not to cause any damage.
Thanks.

PS moved this from Parker Hammer Gun Forum..
Gary Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,032 Times in 1,423 Posts

With fluid steel barrels I am not concerned with the pressure of factory loads. Recoil is the issue as lighter recoil is more kind to old wood and one's shoulder. A factory load of 1 ounce and 1180 is reasonably soft. Light factory loads however are not usually going to be low pressure as they are designed to cycle semi-auto's. Often they are near SAAMI max. Again nothing to be concerned about with fluid steel provided you have "normal" wall thickness.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Gary
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you thats good to know, and a relief.
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Gary, staying under some velocity doesn't have anything to do with low pressure or any pressure. I've reloaded shells at 1300fps at around 7000psi. They were only 3/4oz, but that's one of the reasons I could. A quick look at a reloading hand book I see from 5500psi to 10,300psi with a 1oz load at 1200fps. So please don't assume some velocity assures a safe pressure. What I think most of us worry about is cracking the wood or getting the barrels sloppy on the receiver from repeated use of high pressure factory ammo.
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

i shoot thefactory field loads in 7/8 to 11/4 in the 20 ga 16 ga and the 12..for a lot of years in my old doubles with never a issue except one..i bought some bargain loads from a friend about 300 of them for 15 dollars all were low brass shells they were not over 6 years old..i was dove hunting with them one of those shells kicked like both barrels went off at same time but did not it broke my stock on a 94 remington at the wrist...i fiunished shooting up the same shells in a old stevens double with no problems..these were factory loads all i know is maybe that shell set on a dasboard of a truck in direct sunlight or was dropped in water and changed the powder load some way..i guess what i m trying to say if you shoot enough sooner or later you will have a problem with a gun and a load of some kind...in my shooting thru the yearsi bulged a 20 ga single gun barrel..blowed the side out of a barrel on a 28 ga rem..automatic and broke the stock on the 94 rem... those have been my mishaps a shooting and hunting...i reload and i shoot factory loads from lite to as much lead and powder as the factorywill pack in there loads but im like every one else i choose the gun with which load im gonna shoot it it..and some of my old guns will dijest anything made with no problems.. charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Gary
Forum Associate

Member Info

I understand that FPS doesnt mean anything when it comes to Pressures.
I would imagine that 1300fps is quite a bit higher in pressure than 1150 or 1180 though.. and im not going to shoot 1300 in my sxs..

I dont reload so thats probably more the problem than anything as it seems that if you reload, there are formulas that will take into consideration the Pressure you are getting from certain loads.

Going the easy route, i was just trying to find out the pressures of some of the Winchester AA's extra lite target loads that are 1oz 8's at 1125 and 1185 fps..
Probably not going to be able to get that information anywhere.

I think that we have determined that those loads should not harm the shotgun since i do have the steel barrels and not damascus. So I will try those and see how it goes, and how they feel, compared to the RST 2 1/2" (1180) lite loads i have been using but are getting expensive with shipping etc..

Thanks for the input and what ever else anyone wants to add is very helpful information and speeds along the learning process, as i really dont want cracked wood and bulging barrels if i can help it
Unread 07-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Gary, reloading is half the fun of shooting these old SxS's. After you do it for awhile enough different supplies are accumulated so just about any type of shell can be reloaded without running around trying to find the shells you want. Plus, you'll know what pressures the shells are. And you'll have the satisfaction of breaking clays or shooting game with your own ammo. I know a lot of guys don't like the mess and clean up afterwards, but shooting a 130 year old damascus SxS hammer gun with some of your own roll crimped paper shells, fiber wads, and black powder that go boom with a cloud of smoke is about the most fun you can have with your pants on. I usually save them for shooting skeet on a calm night under the lights - my fellow shooters whine about the smoke when they shoot. I tell em " you think you got it bad, try shooting it."
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 07-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
Gary
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thumbs up

Paul,
I think your right.. I used to load 45acp when i was shooting pistols and it was a very satisfying experience of loading the way you wanted when you wanted and not have to worry about going to Gander or your local shooting store and finding no ammo for months at a time..

I just got into shotgun sports about 3 yrs ago and figured it would be too much to grasp all at once but I think i'm ready to dive in and give it a shot.. I got a quick lesson a few weeks ago and found it a good learning experience and like you said very satifiying knowing the loads you are shooting are your own..
I am working as a RSO at our local range so there are plenty of empty hulls there for the taking..

Thanks for sharing that with me as you have motivated me to start loading my own.. I guess you'll be hearing more from me in the reloading forum now LOL..

Take care and thanks again..
Gary
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Paul Do you have a supplyer for your paper hulls. I might like to try to load a few of them.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,635 Times in 2,670 Posts

Parker did not differentiate between fluid and Damascus steel for load recommendations. For 12ga , Parker published light, medium and heavy load recommendations, the heavy being stout indeed. There were load recommendations for 16, 20 and 28ga as well. Velocity is provided on the following table so while drams equivalent is stated only for DuPont smokeless, it can be roughly determined for other powders. Note the statement about where velocity is measured.

Another way of loading is to use the patterning load that Parker used for your specific gun. If you are missing the hang tag for your gun, what would have been on it can generally be determined. The predominate Parker 12ga patterning load is 3 dre 1 1/8oz, which has been the standard trap load for over 100 years.

Service and proof load pressures, both mean and maximum, are provided in a Parker table in The Parker Story. They generally follow SAAMI standards of the day. I do not know of any hammerless Parkers that were restricted to shoot less than SAAMI service loads when SAAMI standards were established or previously, industry norms before SAAMI was formed.

While loading down may be a general good practice and many people have their own ideas, sometimes owners want to know what the designer and manufacturer of the gun recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parker load table 008.jpg (86.5 KB, 19 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post: