View Single Post
1850s German SxS
Unread 10-06-2022, 07:28 PM   #1
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,214 Times in 641 Posts

Default 1850s German SxS

I was shooting sporting clays today with a Parker and this 1850s German muzzleloader. It is a 15 gauge with 34” barrels that have been refinished by Breck Gorman. When I got the gun there wasn’t any finish left on the barrels, Breck turn them into functioning art.

I was reminded how much I enjoy these early guns. No need to worry about finding the right shells. You can’t help but slow down and enjoy the experience. They work too…I would say I shot it just was well as I shoot any cartridge gun.

I was shooting 3 1/4 drams of 2f Goex and 1oz. of shot(this is a great load in this gun). In certain hunting situations it would be just as easy to load bismuth as it is to load lead. I also think they represent a good value in the vintage gun market as they are just not in high demand.

I love the engraving on the trigger guard of this gun(which I have shared in the past). Nothing like loading your shotgun with your dog at your side.

It was nice to take a stroll in the past and shoot a gun our beloved Parkers were replacing. I would recommend trying if you have never shot one before…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M1.jpg (491.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg M2.jpg (237.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg M3.jpg (253.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg M4.jpg (243.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg M5.jpg (382.8 KB, 8 views)
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post: