View Single Post
Unread 01-21-2022, 03:07 PM   #14
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,002 Times in 464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
I'd have to think more about any literature to specifically answer your good question. Remember early on, almost any bird (of size and worth of expending powder and shot) was considered a target. After seasons were established, when numbers dropped, seasons were closed (the early form of game management). What had developed into a tradition (shore bird hunting, for example), was lost. When seasons were re-established after the closures, what was deemed "game" was redefined through whatever processes existed in a state to enact laws (an exception were the migratory bird laws, which are federal in nature and established by treaty -- and an interesting topic in an of themselves). You can still see the evidence of our regard for what is game, songbird, and/or vermin in our current hunting practices. There was a time when, if you purchased a hunting license of some states, there was tacit agreement (and sometimes explicit) that you would shoot all hawks (and free roaming cats in some states). There's some fascinating history to examine in all of this.
I figured it either came down to cultural norms or perhaps or species that are more easily repopulated were chosen as game birds. Im not sure about other states but I believe here we have two categories, non game animals and non game protected animals. I guess what I am looking for would be something on the cultural or social roots of modern hunting. Regulations aside locally we have game animals we dont hunt I suppose you could call its a custom passed down by the older generation.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote