View Single Post
Unread 01-21-2022, 01:17 PM   #12
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,601 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
The page before Cleveland writing about summer shore birds does show what I think is a sketch of a snipe but he doesnt mention it specifically. Would you happen to know of any books that are about the origins of what or why certain birds are considered game birds? Its something I have wondered about what makes a game bird a game bird and another species a non game bird?
I'd have to think more about any literature to specifically answer your good question. Remember early on, almost any bird (of size and worth of expending powder and shot) was considered a target. After seasons were established, when numbers dropped, seasons were closed (the early form of game management). What had developed into a tradition (shore bird hunting, for example), was lost. When seasons were re-established after the closures, what was deemed "game" was redefined through whatever processes existed in a state to enact laws (an exception were the migratory bird laws, which are federal in nature and established by treaty -- and an interesting topic in an of themselves). You can still see the evidence of our regard for what is game, songbird, and/or vermin in our current hunting practices. There was a time when, if you purchased a hunting license of some states, there was tacit agreement (and sometimes explicit) that you would shoot all hawks (and free roaming cats in some states). There's some fascinating history to examine in all of this.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: