View Single Post
Unread 03-18-2023, 06:59 AM   #30
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,784 Times in 602 Posts

Guys all this talk of originality honestly baffles me,how do anyone know today what was original 120 years ago ? Sure something could've been written down ,someone else can discover it and follow directions word for word,but with something like cch were all subtle nuances followed directly ? Are the materials in use from the water to charcoal to heat source the exact same? There's been documented finds of pristine unused guns ,but was the same person there when the gun was bought 100 years ago are they the same person who finds it in a closet looking through the same eyes? Has time taken no effect ? Did someone in the 1960s start up cch as there was a personal desire or sound need for the long forgotten service ,could they not claim that thier rediscovery of the process is exactly like the original? Who the hell could argue? Great tactic if you ask me ...there are subtle things in particular makers that are of note, like the lighter center of the Parker floorplate ....a clear lacquer can be used gloss or satin ,colors can be buffed out before lacquer like I pretty sure was done in Michigan
Same goes for any of the restoration process ,it's very difficult to exactly duplicate what was done so long ago metal or wood ,good work and process does ,although speak for itself ...if you want a gun to look as good as possible don't hold back on the restoration process ,and in the end if the individual is happy with thier "new " gun that's really all that counts and any of the old relics saved and put back in use is a battle won for the future of our pastime
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to chris dawe For Your Post: