View Single Post
Unread 03-16-2023, 10:49 AM   #26
Alfred Houde
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

My guess would be that after what we now refer to as the classic manufacturers (Fox, Lefever, Hunter Arms, Parker, etc.) ceased operations, most owners were not all that concerned with or wrapped up in restorations. Most guys bought those guns to use and hunt with, most took good care of them, and the collectors did a good job maintaining their guns for that purpose.

I doubt that there was much if any focus on "restoration" during World War II, with the focus on repair and keeping them working in the field and marsh since manufacturing was directed towards the war effort.

As has been written many times, the returning Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, and Airman shifted their interest to autoloading rifles and shotguns.

When I became interested in hunting and shooting in the early to mid-1970's my friends and I all coveted either a Remington Model 870 or Ithaca Model 37. A Browning Auto-5 was viewed as a "money gun." It was the then "old-timers" that had double-guns and again, they were viewed as a tool.

Seeing nice trap guns at the range usually meant Ithaca or L.C. Smith. My memory is they cared about shooting well and winning, not getting them re-case colored.

So, in my opinion towards the original question I think that there was probably a small cottage industry of guys who did that type of work and I'm sure Colt and S&W offered this type of service. But what we refer to today as a complete or historically accurate restoration of classic double-guns is a fairly recent phenomenon I would guess.

I think Doug T. left his Dad's shop around the late 1990's to go his own way and build what it is today.
Alfred Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alfred Houde For Your Post: