View Single Post
Unread 06-30-2022, 12:27 PM   #37
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

Can we assume Mike, the species you're targeting are typically found in short grasses in open country? Plus you're hunting over flushers. I would expect most shots would fall between 15-20 yds. up to 35-40 yds. and you've told us you have other 28s that are more open choked and you're looking for a little more choke, I would have to believe that your .016/.035 chokes would work just fine. I don't hunt huns or sharptails, but my 28ga. Repro's .014/.034 chokes work just fine on clay birds at similar distances. However, I don't rely on clay birds for sustenance.

Have you patterned your gun with the .016/.035 chokes at the typical range of your quarry and have you compared them with patterns you'd expect out of your proposed .010/.020 at the same distance? Are you shooting 3/4 or 1 oz. loads? If so, post some pics of the patterns, we'd like to see them.

Since you have a few other 28s, can we assume you're reloading for them? If you find your Repro's patterns are too tight at the range you're shooting you can always load up some spreaders. If you're not reloading, you likely have more money to burn than most or you're not taking all that many shots.