View Single Post
French Brittany has cancer
Unread 06-07-2022, 06:34 PM   #1
Troy Giles
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default French Brittany has cancer

Hoping for some thoughts, comments, etc. Our 9.5 year old French Brittany out of Sur Le Delavan had blood on her tongue. I lifted her jowl to find a tumor. We took her immediately to the emergency vet client in Waukesha, Wisconsin and then to her regular vet. This was the Tuesday prior to Memorial Weekend. In both instances, the diagnosis was....probably not serious. Remove some tissue and she should be okay. The surgeons were on vacation but we continually followed up, multiple times a day, asking what's next, where does she go, when does she get a biopsy, who will do the surgery, when is her appointment...help! I cannot begin to explain the panic and frustration as everything we read said "timing is critical". She finally (after pleading) had a "consultation" with the surgeon at the Waukesha Emergency Vet clinic. The comment was "this is grave, she is likely beyond help." I cannot begin to explain the frustration and sadness. Hazel is a family dog and we love her. We won't let her go without trying...but so far nothing but consultations. The clinic "tried" to get her in for an oncology visit yesterday but ultimately said there was no opening. Our next appointment is Thursday...oncology. Meanwhile, the tumor grows.

I don't want to give up without some fight but I cannot even start the process! Has anyone had experience with this? Anyone tried an experimental treatment? Anyone with advice of any kind? Any hope? We were told removing her entire snout might be an option but I don't know if I can or should go that route.

Adding to this all is our 16 year old American Brittany out of Tainter Creek is fading fast. I cannot imagine burying our two dogs within days or weeks of one another. I love them like kids.

Last edited by Troy Giles; 06-07-2022 at 07:15 PM..
Troy Giles is offline   Reply With Quote