View Single Post
Unread 08-20-2022, 08:37 AM   #15
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Rams View Post
I haven’t heard grouse drum on my property in almost two decades. I went on an egg eater smear campaign two years ago and removed over a 100 raccoons, almost 50 possum, a grey Fox, and a bobcat with permit on my property. For the last 2 spring turkey seasons I have multiple grouse drumming every morning now. I have had them walk by me several times as well. I also have woodcock all over now. Previous to two years ago I’ve only seen a total of 2 wood cock since the early 70’s.
In this age of predator protection by governmental agencies many have no idea what an impact they have on game birds. Yours is a great example of how much can be done to help reverse it. Sixty years ago there were counties in Georgia that actually paid a bounty on hawks. AIR my cousins in Camden Co. were paid $2 each for them. But .......... we are sooooo much wiser, now.

And the result is that, here, the really efficient woods dwelling hawks, such as the Cooper's and Sharp-shinned, have exploded in numbers, and wreak havoc on small game, songbirds, and small gamebird populations.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post: