View Single Post
Unread 10-10-2021, 07:08 PM   #46
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,468 Times in 971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Hering View Post
Andy: Take your time and enjoy the hunt and most certainly the dog. Kill numbers are not important here. Its the whole adventure for you and pup. Your new at this so take your time and experience this new outdoor adventure together. At 75 I still remember my early days with my Dad, listening to him and watching what he did and how he and the dog worked together.... yea, I wanted to be a killer then, but soon learned about the whole experience.... To this day I thank the creator for the experience and the game provided.....

Just me talking...
Bruce, I'm not new to bird hunting. I shot my first brace of woodcock and a grouse at 16 with an Ithaca 37, that was 41 years ago. I'm only new to Parkers and Pointers. I've always run Labs. They always put me over a tremendous amount of game, I just can't keep up like I used to with them. I've found out in a few short weeks how different those two types of dogs can be. This Setter has captured my heart for sure and I'm enjoying it. She pointed last night solid on something right next to my barn. A woodcock flitted away and I looked down at my empty broken open VH 16, just 50 yards from my house. Dumb me.