View Single Post
Unread 02-11-2023, 09:48 AM   #18
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Garry, we’ll have to sit down and discuss Parker engraving at length.
I agree with most of those things you point out but some aren’t clear enough IMO.
One point I disagree with is the point that the dogs and animals on grade 4 and higher were engraved by the chief engravers whereas it is the grade 3 and higher that were usually done by the chief engravers. I have several example pictures saved that prove this fact.

The template theory needs clarification too. Is is most likely that some sort of artwork was transferred to the frame panel but after that ink transfer was made the engraving was executed freehand with no mechanical aid. The engraver’s mind, eye, sense of form and finally his hand are most responsible for the artwork applied to cold steel.
Dean, I have no idea about whether or not chief engravers executed the dogs on Grade 3 guns (I'd guess some guns yes, and some no). Based on my two 1918 guns, one a CH and the other a DH, I would wager they were both done by the same hand...whoever that was. Craig's wonderful examples bear testament to the ability of the engraver also.

As for the engraving done after the drawing was transferred, remember he created the drawing in the first place, and I agree about his artistic ability being responsible for the final work that we see. And I can attest, it's not a matter of just tracing. I've used a burin (nothing like the finer tools of the engraver), and can tell you that it requires much skill...and practice.

I see that you are going to the HOF banquet. Elaine and I are also. Maybe we can chat more about Parker engraving. I believe I could learn much from your years of observation and research.
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: